[May 23, 2014] Caribbean DO - Memorial Day Weekend (Punta Cana, Dominican Republic)

Discussion in 'Meetups' started by jetsetr, Jan 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

Caribbean DO - Memorial Day Weekend
Start Date: May 23, 2014 09:00 AM
End Date: May 26, 2014 09:00 AM
Time Zone: America/New_York -04:00 EDT

Playa de Bavaro
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic 00000

Posted By: jetsetr

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":
  1. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the Caribbean DO meetup thread!

@PHCaswell and @cecikite are organizing what will hopefully become an annual Caribbean gathering of frequent traveler aficionados and miles and points junkies!

The idea and inspiration for a Caribbean Do stemmed from the simple fact that not many meetups are held in this region, even though from the continental U.S., it is easier to fly to the Caribbean with direct access to hubs in MIA [AA], ATL [DL], IAH [UA] and even JFK [B6], than it is to fly to many other Do locations held around the globe.

In addition, this Do is designed to be held in places around the Caribbean that are both solo-traveler friendly, as well as family-friendly.

This first event is trying to keep things fun and simple: A Memorial Day weekend gathering at the all-inclusive Paradisus Punta Cana Resort in the Dominican Republic.

Group rates are being secured:
    Deluxe Garden View Junior Suite (kids allowed in these types of accommodations)
    ETA [14JAN]: New rate quotes being obtained by @PHCaswell

Royal Service Luxury Junior Suite (NO kids allowed in these types of accommodations)
    ETA [14JAN]: New rate quotes being obtained by @PHCaswell

The special negotiated rates can be extended for up to two (2) days before and/or after the official Do weekend.

The Melia hotel group and the Paradisus Punta Cana will sponsor a full bar reception on one of the evenings. Other goodies and perqs might be made available to Do attendees as well.

If there is enough interest, a group tour / excursion can be arranged to nearby sites and attractions.

Hope to see you there!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reserved

3. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reserved

4. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to more details, & love the idea of an annual Do. :D

zphelj, jetsetr and alfagirl like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just for clarity, it seems like your rates are a bit wonky... :)

The hotel site itself is offering $298 per room, per night. I have to assume that your rate of $220 per person is incorrect and is instead per room?

iolaire and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    this sounds like a lot of fun, but need more details before I can commit. I was just looking at PHCaswell's biz card the other day!!!

7. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rates are indeed wonky, and another user identified the same issue you did.

@PHCaswell is in touch with the property to get further clarity / obtain new rate quotes. In the meantime, I'll edit the OP above. Thanks.

viguera likes this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    why wouldn't they post for the meetup they are organizing? (or are you the messenger?)

Pat89339 and viguera like this.
  9. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm the messenger. I've met @PHCaswell and @cecikite at many previous DOs, but they are not quite as active [read: orders of magnitude less of a junkie than I am on the travel boards], so they asked me to help promote the event on MP & FT. So I did.

Sweet Willie and viguera like this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few notes about the hotel...
    • Butler service should be included, just in case you want someone handling your underwear like that TripAdvisor guy :)
    • The rate appears to include unlimited green fees at Cocotal
    • It's unclear whether the rate includes airport transfers from PUJ. There's a mention of a shuttle, but there's also a mention of "extra charge"

They do mention "5 pools" but that's broken down into 1 main pool, 1 pool in the spa, 1 children’s splash pool in the "Kids Zone" and separate pools reserved for people booking "Reserve" rooms and "Royal Service" rooms, so technically you'd have access to the main / children's pool only.

I haven't looked for what they define as "children" to figure out if they're included in the rate. Generally these all inclusive places will charge a reduced fee for teens / young adults and children younger than a certain age would be free.

cocobird and jetsetr like this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of a Caribbean Do, I've only seem some San Juan Do's in the past.

Will there be activities/dinner/drinks outside the Paradisus or does one have to stay in order to partake in this meet-up?
    (I'm not crazy about all inclusive resorts and would probably stay elsewhere)

12. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, just the messenger here, but to take a stab at your question, I think it depends on the make up of the group and what folks want to do.

@PHCaswell told me that if there is enough interest, he would see about negotiating a group bus/van to off-property sites/events.

Intentionally, the framework for this first Caribbean Do is relatively unstructured. They don't yet know what the true, baseline/interest demand is for this event, and given that there may be a varied lot of folks with diverse interests in attendance, the idea is to see how this Do (and subsequent future planned/structured activities) organically evolves.

As soon as there's more info to share, @PHCaswell or I will post here and on FT.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  13. cocobird

cocobird Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thanks to all the folks who are organizing this Do. Looks like a lot of fun!

jetsetr likes this.
  14. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just realised that myself and catgirl have tickets booked to be in the US May 21 - 27, so we're a maybe for this :) Still gotta decide if we're doing this or OzFest, or *gasp* staying home...

TAHKUCT, jetsetr and IDGflygirl like this.
  15. PHCaswell

PHCaswell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello Folks,

I'm sorry to say that I am canceling the DO.

I will regroup with this forum to reschedule a future event that has a destination with more interest, more advance notice and gives people the chance to weigh in on where and what you would like the DO to encompass.

16. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please do, I'd be interested. I didn't spot this activity until you posted it's cancelation :-(