May 1 - 15 Safety Video

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Apr 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just saw the safety video for May 1 - 15. The same video shoot from the previous messages, as Smisek is in the control tower (or wherever) wearing the same pink tie.

It talks about the "customer bring in control" via the United website and the mobile app.

Seriously.

Trying to put aside melodramatics, I find this incredibly stunning, even somewhat comical. Does anyone on Wacker realize the PR hole they are digging right now?

sobore, redwoman and Infinite1K like this.
  2. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is quite a disconnect between the message they are trying to convey and the actual experience of customers and employees at the moment. Just saying it isn't enough...

3. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are a lot of business professors who have written that it's risky to put the CEO in commercials or other direct to consumer communications. I think that this may be one of those cases! Smisek is pretty stiff and not very charismatic. I don't hate seeing him, but some people definitely do, especially if you believe what you read TOBB. Yes, I do realize I just walked right into that one. Feel free to make fun of me. :D

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, it's not so much about putting the CEO in front of the camera as much it is about being so oblivious to the plight of the everyday traveler.

On top of that, in the previous videos, Smisek talks about not operating an airline from some corner office.

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? I think he actually is charismatic. One of the things I like about seeing him in these segments. My mom tends to agree. Yeah, he's less at ease than I've seen him in some other things, but I wouldn't call him stiff, exactly.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife, without any prompting or commenting on the video from me started calling him Jeff Smarmy after the first few flights with his videos. She's not a FTer or MPer (I am the one obsessed with travel arrangements, she enjoys the C/F seats).

Personally, I don't mind seeing him talk, but I do think that it's potentially risky for companies to put the CEO front and center. I'd rather learn from a variety of "real employees" about their role and what they are doing to make the merger a success. And hearing the same video over and over again is a bit annoying (and I don't even fly that much).

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to confess, I like a bit o smarm, and I can see where she gets that, but a lot of C*Os have that issue, frankly.

Flyer1976 likes this.