maximum miles per £ on AA - any destination from LON

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ukaahopeful, Oct 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ukaahopeful

ukaahopeful Active Member

Status Points:
    This is a mileage run question I guess, but is there anywhere I can look up AA 'LON - anywhere' - over a period of a selected month or two - which will return results that I can maybe sort by destination, overall price or ppm?

Skyscanner lets me search without a destination, but I can't specify a carrier so the results are too crowded.
    ita Matrix would be perfect if I could set the destination to 'anywhere' - which I can't.

I'm looking for a few thousand miles to maintain my AA plat into 2014-15.

Also... is there anywhere worth heading to from DFW for a brief (early morning hours) overnight layover - or should I just stay airside and find a sofa somewhere?

(this post is also in 'General Discussion' - apologies but I didn't know how to move it to this forum)

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You might find this primer on advanced search language on ITASoftware.com useful for searching multiple destinations while limiting the type of carrier you want to fly: LINK.

:)

zpaul likes this.
  3. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    Thanks DestinationDavid.

I am quite proficient with ita routing codes etc, although the 'search nearby' option was something I'd not considered. However, it still seems like dogged searching around the various search tools is the only way to chance upon something of interest.

I need just over 10K to keep my Platinum status and something has come up which looks interesting. I can get from London to Hong Kong - with a stop - at £0.034p per mile. But there are two possible issues that I would welcome opinion about before I take the plunge.

One is that the flight is with Qatar Airways who I understand will join oneworld at the end of this month (oneworld announcement). So the question is... is there any chance that this membership could fall through and / or that tickets booked on Qatar (booked before joining oneworld, but flying after joining) would not earn AAdvantage miles in the normal way?

Second issue is that the nice price is coming from an online agent who I spoke to and they assured me that if I make the booking, I would get a regular Qatar flight booking code and would be able to access the booking as though it had been made directly. So, my second question is... is there a possibility that there could be a problem with booking through an agent - could they, for example, somehow sell a 'mileage-exempt' fare - if such a thing exists..?

Since the sole reason for this trip is to grab the miles, it would be great to hear of any warnings before I book!

4. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    Looks like a bit of research (and tweaking a URL on American's website) has been worthwhile. It seems that a discounted economy ticket on Qatar will only give me 25% base miles (which I guess are what I need to earn status) - so sadly it looks like my plans for cheap miles will need to change. Out of interest, would the 25% base miles be accompanied by an additional 25% (i.e. 100% of the 25% if that makes sense) Platinum (non-status earning) miles?

The detail below is from an url that is not accessible through a link on aa.com:

For travel on or after October 1, 2013

Class of ServicePurchased Fares Booked in:Base MilesClass of Service Bonus Miles
    First ClassA, F, P100%50%
    Business ClassJ, C, D, I100%25%
    Full Fare Economy ClassY, B100%
    Discount Economy ClassG, H, K, M75%
    Discount Economy ClassL, N, S, T, V50%
    Discount Economy ClassQ, O25%

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Actually that link is published quite prominently on AA.com and has been for some time. Under "Earn Miles" you can see the link to Qatar's information with the rest of the non-OW members. See LINK here and image here:

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 3.03.47 PM.png

Also that information is for RDM only, not for earning EQM/EQP. If tradition holds AA will update the chart to show the earning rates on elite status earning activity the day QR joins OW or a few days afterwards. Which is simply to say - that chart is not currently a solid way to predict your earning rates on QR when credited to AAdvantage. You'll need to wait till AA updates the chart when QR officially joins at the end of the month.

When QR joins AA will update the chart so that it specifics that the fares are EQM/EQP earning. For example, notice the language difference on the Alaska Airlines earning chart vs. the one AA has for QR as linked above. The chart clearly states (elite status qualifying) under miles earned and a column for EQP earning has been added:

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 3.15.59 PM.png

I won't be too surprised if the chart stays exactly the same as the one they have published for earning RDM that's out now to be honest. But there have been times when small changes have taken place between transition from RDM-only to RDM and EQM/EQP earning status.

Good luck with your status run! I don't see much out of LHR that's low cost at the moment before end of year. :(

6. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ITA software "On The Fly" is a good app. I use the online version which is google.com/flights because it's a little easier since i only want to search flights on AA.

7. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    Oops - I really did think I had found something there.

Thanks for the information. I had not realised until now that booking with some oneworld partners doesn't earn the actual miles flown. In pursuit of AAdvantage miles I have only ever booked on AA and on BA. A quick look through the various airlines shows that there aren't too many that give 100% EQM on the lowest fares (BA and Finnair seem to, but not many more..?).

I guess it's back to the long trawl armed with this new knowledge. Wish me luck..!

8. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    For 200 dollars more you can move up to 50% qualifying on QR.

9. ukaahopeful

Status Points:
    I never quite understand how to know in advance which booking code I will be booking (sadly I am always looking at getting the lowest possible fare!).

But an extra $200 to still only get 50% EQM doesn't seem that great.

10. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably...just giving you the options...;(