Maximizing UR points

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by misterbwong, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like many of you, I've recently signed up for the Sapphire Preferred card and I thought it might be a good idea to pull together all the tips for maximizing the amount of UR points we earn. Here's what I have so far:

Sapphire Preferred/Ink Bold card signup
    • 50k Signup bonus per card
    • 7% yearly bonus for sapphire
    • 2x points Dining/Travel category spend on Sapphire Preferred
    • 5x points on Office Supplies/Wireless/Cable/Communications, 2x points on Gas/Hotels
    • Combo gives 10% bonus + 10 pts per transaction in addition to category spend
    • Example: Chase is currently giving 5pts/1$ on dining
    • $20 dining bill = 100pts (5x) + 10pts (per transaction) + 2pts (10% bonus) = 112 pts for a $20 transaction.
    • Combine with the sapphire and you can transfer to airlines to get a better pt/$ ratio
    Shop through the UR Mall
    UR GC Double Dip
    • Buy a gift card from UR mall for a specific merchant that allows it
    • Go through UR mall again to buy the actual item, using the giftcard you purchased previously
    • Can also take advantage of Ink Bold's 5x on office supplies to buy a Visa GC from staples (unconfirmed, thanks bringer)
    • Some details in this thread
    Can you guys think of any others?

hulagrrl210 and Quasiconvexity like this.
  2. bringer
    Original Member

bringer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ink Bold gives 5x points for purchases at office stores online and in store (including officemax,officedepot, staples...) Staples seems to sale $100 visa gift cards for a $6 dollar fee. My rusty math says this would generate ~ 530 UR points per $100 visa gift card and allow you to use it for purchases that other cards don't give a good multiplier for... I haven't seen anything in the T's and C's against this...

Also Stapes sales Lands Ends gift cards which can be used at sears and kmart...kmart sales other vendor gift cards and has been reported that you can buy those gift cards w/ Lands Ends gift cards.

I haven't tried the above as I just got my Ink Bold card.. Anybody care to chime in?

misterbwong and hulagrrl210 like this.
  3. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    One note is that evreward.com isn't always up to date, so one should always make sure by going through ultimaterewards.com.

misterbwong, hulagrrl210 and TAHKUCT like this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. From my experience, evreward is very useful, but not up to date on a lot of current promotions.

misterbwong likes this.
  5. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to try this but I only have a Chase Sapphire :( I hear that some cards code gift card purchases as cash advances. Anyone have any experience with it?

6. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, this has not been the case with Chase Sapphire and Ink Bold.