Maximizing SPG spend for Starpoints

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by servo, Jun 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems like if you don't stay at an SPG hotel, earning Starpoints is just as tedious as any other 1x card. Are there any ways to maximize points earning with SPG if you're limited to manufactured spend with VR and whatnot at 1x? There just aren't many SPG hotels in places I frequent, but I understand their value. I will likely look into the business card eventually, but for now, it's just spend on the personal card that I've got to work with.

wheat27, jwsky, Kalboz and 1 other person like this.
  2. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just picked up the SPG card as well. I'm giving it a year as my wife's everyday card plus anytime we stay at a Starwood hotel. I'm hoping they offer some ways to earn a little more than 1x...

Kalboz likes this.
  3. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    The UK SPG card only earns 1x at Starwood properties. Earning lots of Starpoints seems to be limited to that one off sign up bonus.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use SPG as my nonbonus spend card. the 2x is nice, but a majority of my points are from stays & bonuses from the stays

5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have the business version, use it at Hyatt, too, for one SPG point + 5% AmEx OPEN cash back.

6. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    SPG definitely has some of the most desirable points (both in hotel redemption rates and transferability) but lack of meaningful category bonuses it's so hard for me to use it. Gas/Dining/Travel/Hotels (minus spg of course)/airlines all have better cards.

jwsky and Kalboz like this.
  7. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use it at Costco

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep - I just joined Costco a week ago and have already used the card 3 times there.

merice107, Dad to GO and jwsky like this.
  9. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Plus with Costco you always end up spending more than you planned. That's like a bonus right there lol :p

jwsky and merice107 like this.
  10. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    SPG Points can definitely be hard to come by. The vast majority of mine have come from the CC bonuses, which I've been able to get roughly every 2 years.

11. NorthtoAlaskaa

NorthtoAlaskaa Active Member

Status Points:
    " earning Starpoints is just as tedious as any other 1x card"

i suppose it depends on what you want the starpoints for. i use them for ffm on alaska air. when transferred to an airline you get 25% bonus for every 20,000 you transfer. so, for my usage, i get 1.25 miles for every dollar spent. the barclay's card does the same but they have far fewer airlines to transfer to.

12. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Presumably Barclays isn't an Amex, though. What's the Barclays card with transfer options?

13. NorthtoAlaskaa

Status Points:
    so far as i'm aware barclays only transfers to the airline that the card is associated with, BA/Lufthansa.

the SPG AMEX card transfers points to a large number of airlines.

14. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    With 1 point per dollar spend, you' be spending like $5000 to stay at their lowest category hotel. That seems crazy. I am thinking about canceling the card when the fee comes due, unless they make it worth my while.

15. NorthtoAlaskaa

Status Points:
    its always a matter of what you use the points for and how you value those. i would never use SPG points to stay in a hotel. i use them for air travel. with 1.25 miles per dollar spend, over 2 or 2.5 years, i have enough miles to fly first/business class from alaska to australia. that's about $15,000 worth of travel. far more value, for me, than spending a few nights in a hotel.

estnet likes this.
  16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    but not necessarily at hotels out of the country b/c the 5% is almost negated by the cost of forex

boondr likes this.
  17. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Starwood has more than a fair point system. Night and flights is a tremendous deal. Five nights in a cat 3 or 4 plus 50k in your airline account for 70k or less. Anyone that thinks spg is tedious should try hilton or mariott. They stink. those points are not even worth half of spg.

rockyrock likes this.
  18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    He nights and flights. Can you transfer to UA? I doubt it but if you can that would be a good value since UA is 2:1 normally.

19. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given that you CAN churn these cards, I wouldn't look at it only as a return on normal spend. You can regularly throw in sign-up bonuses again. Still, if you aren't staying at ANY SPG hotels I can see how you'd have trouble earning enough points...

20. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I respectfully disagree. Let me offer some counterpoint with an actual example from just last week.

The wife wanted to get together with a college girlfriend of hers for an overnight shopping trip. It ain't the W, but there was a "Four Points by Sheraton" a few blocks away from where they'd be shopping. A weekend night was 3,000 Starpoints. So, 6 Vanilla Reloads later, that room was hers for a net cost of $23.70. The cash price was about $135 + tax. That, alone, made the card worth it's annual fee and that's just a single, one-night, example.

sfaulk4 and ariosto like this.
  21. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering this, does spend at an on site restaurant count as SPG spending? So, if I were to go to Clink and had some nice dinners do I get 2x SPG points because its in the Liberty Hotel?

boondr likes this.
  22. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ed, sounds like you got a great deal! Over how many months do you spread out your Vanilla purchases, if you don't mind me asking? Thank you!

23. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most places require you charge it to your room folio ... (I know Hilton is like that) ... i dont know about SPG as i usually don't eat onsite

24. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's currently an "SPG Triple Benefits" offer that gives you three "benefits" (discount, wine, extra points) but it varies by hotel restaurant and is only offered at a very limited number of properties. Other than using your SPG Amex card at the restaurant to earn points, or charging to your room when you're staying there, I'm not sure there's a way to earn points eating at an SPG restaurant otherwise.

25. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question was do the restaurant purchase code as SPG purchases? It's not REALLY an issue, but I was just curious since I am thinking about going to Clink for Restaurant Week.