Maximizing Accounts Between Spouse/Partner

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by rodeojones, Oct 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    First post and very new to rewards. Just found the site and love it so far.

My question centers on two people, in my case my wife and I, and maximizing their rewards/travel points to travel together.

With UR points, it is easy to move the points to one bank thus utilizing the two separate accounts. It appears as if not all rewards programs (banks, hotels, airlines) will allow you to do this.

What are affective ways to maximize a spouse/partners points to travel together??

Thanks

2. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two airlines that I know of that let you share:
    British Airways - has family accounts.
    Hawaiian Airlines - lets you transfer miles free if the person receiving miles has one of their co-branded credit cards.

Another scheme that is good with two people:

Southwest Companion Pass - anyone can book a flight with points for the Companion Pass holder, who then can add their companion for free. So say your wife has the Companion Pass, but doesn't have any points left, and you have points (and you are her companion). You can book her a flight with your points, and then she can add you as her companion for free.

Otherwise, I'd just recommend working both of your accounts in each program. For example, I'm into miles and points but my husband isn't. All of his accounts are in my AwardWallet and all his frequent flier/points stuff goes to an email address that I have access to (that isn't his main email account). I manage it all, since he has no interest, and I try to get us complementary points. So if he gets a USAir credit card and SPG points, I'll get a USAir card and maybe another hotel chain, to spread out those free hotel nights. :)

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG can combine points if you live under the same address.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also keep in mind that redemptions can come from any account. There isn't really a penalty to having some points in the split accounts unless you need all of them for a single award to be issued. When it comes to things like CC sign-ups it is better to each get your own (assuming you can hit the minimum spend) than to just get one person as an additional card on the account with fewer bonus points, even though the points are all in one account in the latter situation.

5. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is where my the heart of my question lies. What do you do when the rewards program does not allow you to simply move them to the others account? Or am I being short sighted here and this really isn't an issue for couples.

Thanks for the replies thus far!

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can redeem from my account and issue the ticket in my wife's name. I've never redeemed from her accounts and we travel together all the time.

Make more sense now?

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I book out of my wife's UA account when it's pretty much 100% certain that the plans are firm and I don't want to change the flights. Otherwise the miles for our trip come out of my account since I am 1K and get free changes.

For hotels, I maintain accounts for both of us, but all the stays where we're together get posted to my accounts. SPG points, should she build any up, get swept into my account every so often.

In general, I try to keep mile/point things as simple as possible for my wife; there is no point in having two people obsessed with points and miles. No complicated credit card or online shopping schemes.

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe what you're inquiring about isn't possible with the majority of airlines. Let's say you need 50k miles for one RT award, but you have 30k in one account and 20k in another. Since you cannot combine these balances to make 50k, you'd need to acquire (aka, buy the miles, or sign up for a credit card) 20k more miles in the one with a 30k balance to get the 50k in one account to issue an award. At least, this is my understanding, unless your miles are with BA or Hawaiian, as was mentioned by another poster above. If you had BA Avios and wanted to fly AA (current issues with them notwithstanding), then you could combine your wife's and your accounts to get that 50k award booking via BA.

kdw038, marcwint55 and edekba like this.
  9. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know..thanks!

kdw038 and marcwint55 like this.
  10. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    You hit your example on the head. So most airlines cannot be combined between accounts other then the ones noted. SPG points can be shared and moved. How do free nights work with the hotels? Like the free nights Hyatt and Hilton give with their cards? Can those nights be shared or is it easy to combine both spouses free nights in one stay.

Thanks all for your help!

LizzyDragon84, kdw038 and marcwint55 like this.
  11. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not combined, but you can book them under your respective names/accounts consecutively for a longer reservation. When you check in, let them know that there are two separate reservations so they don't make you "check-in and out" except on the system and let you stay in the room. this could work in your favor some times if the first person has status and books it first and then the second that doesn't comes on the tail end and they'll let you stay in a potentially upgraded room.

kdw038, marcwint55 and rodeojones like this.
  12. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok...makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

13. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reading through the hotels thread right now and very helpful.

Thanks all for the help...this is a great board.

14. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! You can generally not "combine" airline points from two accounts. You can transfer them, but that's for a charge (usually at least 1 cpm). Not worth it.

kdw038, marcwint55 and rodeojones like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Club Carlson points can also be moved from one account to another very easily.

kdw038, edekba and rodeojones like this.
  17. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if my method is the MOST effective one but all of our credit card miles etc go towards my frequent flier account since i fly all the time and my wife usually is just flying with me infrequently. When redeeming the miles I almost always use my miles to pay for flights for other people (mother in law, cousin, wife). That way EVERY time I fly I'm earning miles.

kdw038 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know that. Awesome.

kdw038 likes this.
  19. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read a blog about this (I think MP) and it sounds like a good plan for elite status. Unfortunately, my wife travels more for work, so she gets the status:( We have Southwest CP, but will be trying that method after it's gone.

20. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait I don't get it. If you use your miles to buy flights for relatives ... how are you earning miles when you fly? sorry ... :confused:

kdw038 likes this.
  21. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You pay for your own ticket and use miles for everyone else.

edekba likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    By buying revenue tickets. It's my plan going forward, too. I'll buy (generally) rev tickets for myself and award tickets for my wife. That lets us concentrate EQM in one account. And since I'll be MM with UA in about 80,000 EQMs (really, BIS UA miles), she will inherit my status anyway.

edekba likes this.
  23. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to keep this in mind, and also remind my wife not to use her UA Chase CC.