"Maximize" O/W *A Award Ticket?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Jimgotkp, Sep 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    As Lucky noted on his blog, SQ has availability for their C product on their A380s from JFK-FRA. I have enough miles to book a o/w on this then plan on using AA miles to do a "mini" RTW. Is there a way of using 60K miles to go to SIN w/ a layover in FRA in C? I have enough miles to fly F as well (70K UA miles) so am open to other ideas. I would like to experience the FCT but don't always have to.

Travelsavant likes this.
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Transfer the miles to CO (more liberal routing rules, I don't think they enforce MPM) and do this:

JFK-FRA (SQ C)

Pick up FRA-HKG (LH) or FRA-ZRH-HKG (LH/LX) and overnight in HKG

Take SQ HKG-SIN and arrive in SIN. You won't get SQ Suites, but SQ C is a nice enough ride for a ~1600 mile flight. :)

Alternately, you can do something similar using BKK in place of HKG, or even places like NRT, KIX (lots of LH availability there), ICN. Be creative with the 24 hour stopover rule. ;)

Travelsavant and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FCT is amazing, but I'd say check out Asiana FRA-ICN in F if you can find availability, then ICN-SIN! SQ C is great as far as business class products go, but I'd say hope for new LH F on the 747, check out the LH first class lounge/spend the day in FRA, then hop on Asiana's amazing F product to ICN. You could also fly via BKK to check out the VIP service at that lounge and get a massage for free.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this all for 60K miles? I can do that many segments for a O/W? :)

I actually thought about doing OZ F but I'm trying to find a way back to the states after going through Asia and Europe with my AA miles (CX Fand QF F). I'm thinking of doing FRA-SEA since I forgot I will be at SEA instead of JFK.

Travelsavant likes this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You said you might shell out the extra 10K for F, and maybe go to the FCT. SQ C doesn't entitle you to the FCT. LH/LX F does*. Thus my suggestion. ;) I assumed you wouldn't mind flying the JFK-FRA portion in C for the novelty factor of SQ A388 C.

*unless you're LH HON

I don't believe there's a published segment limit, and JFK-FRA-HKG-SIN (for example) is only 3 segments. CO probably wouldn't like some 8 segment monstrosity with backtracking and lots of 23.5 hour stopovers like JFK-FRA-ZRH-MUC-NRT-ICN-BKK-HKG-SIN, but 3-4 segments shouldn't be a problem as long as it's all within reason. :)

I've flown FRA-SEA in LH F (but I'm confused- are you originating in the USA on your one-way? Or Europe?:confused:) It's not the neatest high tech superultramodern thing, and the A333s are the last planes LH is sending in for F refits, but it's a very classy service, and the A333 F cabin is nice and private. I'm not used to enough F cabins to get all blasé and :rolleyes: about how there's no privacy screens and the IFE has such a small monitor. ;)

Yeah, but the one downside is no A388 unless you get an LH A388 for F (which might happen). And you might well get new 747 F on FRA-HKG.

The advantage of HKG in my mind is dead-easy access into town for a short stopover, plus lots of SQ flights and excellent availability to SIN, plus a regional C product like SQ's is very nice for a 3-4 hour daytime flight (it's less so on a longer flight where the stage length gets closer to a transcon or European flight). That being said, LH F availability is very good into ICN (OZ F on FRA-ICN was so-so last I checked).

Also, isn't what you get lounge access to (and the F massage) in BKK dependent on your departing flight? I don't think TG flies F on BKK-SIN.

That being said, you could get all three longhaul products (SQ C, LH F, TG F):
    SQ C JFK-FRA (Alternately: LH F JFK/EWR-FRA)
    LH F FRA (or FRA-MUC)-NRT (Alternately: NH new F FRA-NRT. You'd have to give up the FCT for this one though.)
    TG F NRT-BKK (in the leased 9W 777s)

then one of SQ/TG C for the short hop to SIN. 4 segments, I don't think it would be too much hassle, could get a free day in BKK, maybe even NRT if you timed it all right.

6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW! I really appreciate it for the informative post! :)

Please don't kill me though but after looking at availability I've decided to go from the US to Asia to Europe then back to the US. I currently have JFK-HKG-TPE-NRT-SIN-LHR on CX F, CX C, JL C, and QF F. However after reading your post I think I want to rethink my itinerary and go with yours. :p

I'm rather surprised CO would allow an itinerary like that JFK-FRA/MUC-NRT-BKK in F (other than C on SQ) for 70K!

If I could, I would 100x like your post! :p

Travelsavant and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OZ F FRA-ICN is pretty good if you're flexible.

Arriving in BKK in TG F and departing TG C are allowed FC lounge/spa access.

8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm really itching to try the FCT and flying OZ FRA-ICN in F wouldn't allow me that ability. There seems to be no availability for F on the NRT-BKK route on TG's 777 from 9W.

Travelsavant and JohnDeere19 like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't sufficient novelty in flying on that sub-par C product to justify it unless there is nothing else available. LH C is mediocre at best, even on the new A380s.

I believe it is either 7 or 9 for a one-way award.

Backtracking is more likely to get you in trouble but I booked a 5 segment award with 3 connections of 20-22 hours with no problems.

[​IMG]
    I'm still considering adding one more stop in there but I've gotta check schedules.

When my Y seat on many carriers has a bigger screen it doesn't take a lot of F experiences to know that you're not getting an awesome product. ;)

10. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FCT is great, but it's basically the FC lounge with a car ride to the plane. I did it and loved it, but I'm not sure I'd twist my whole trip around to get there. What about the other TG 777 route ;)?

11. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I know but it's a place that I've been wanting to go to for so long due to all the TRs I read. I've been looking for other TG 777 routes but no go :( I even considered backtracking and am currently working on it.

Travelsavant likes this.
  12. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you think BKK-CDG-FRA-EWR would work? I know its a bit of a backtrack from CDG to FRA...

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be a problem, at least from CO agents.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  14. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank god. Now I have to wait till tomorrow to put the reservation on hold :(

15. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do Continental miles permit a stopover (>24 hrs) on a one-way award? Perhaps I misread but I thought OP was asking this question in various forms. Even if he wasn't, I am asking :)

Jimgotkp likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope, though there has been one recent report of it happening as the next legal connection out of that airport. BUt generally do not bet on it.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  17. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Read it again, please. The OP and I were discussing SQ A388 C. Not LH. That does have some novelty factor (enough so that I'd likely take it to Asia out of LAX over UA F were it an option, even if it was being combined with other F products on a redemption).

And I'll admit that LH's old F IFE isn't impressive. I still think it's a nice soft product + lounge.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  18. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay guys I really appreciate it for all the help! I got the tickets booked for March during Spring Break!

So here is the itinerary for those who are curious:

JFK-HKG CX F
    HKG-BKK CX F
    BKK-CDG TG F
    CDG-FRA LH C
    FRA-EWR LH F

Total Miles: AA = 67.5K, CO = 70K

Currently have the flights on hold and will be calling tomorrow to actually confirm it :)

Hotels will be Sheraton Frankfurt, St. Regis Bangkok, Aloft Bangkok (for time adjustment before going to the St. Regis)

I'm so happy since I will only be spending ~$250 for hotels and airplane tickets!

Flyer1976, gleff, catgirl and 2 others like this.
  19. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly what I was alluding to...well done!

Jimgotkp and Wandering Aramean like this.
  20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a fun trip. Do write a trip report if you can.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  21. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering buying a camera so I can have photos! Might be tough to do so since I have no job right now :( I will try my best though! ;)

22. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if I can change the routing and not be charged extra if I have the FRA-EWR segment changed to FRA-SFO/LAX-JFK in F including the PS F? Odd but I would like to get the PS F experience just for the hell of it...

23. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting question - wouldn't that involve about a 3k backtrack?

24. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes :( I think I'm going to keep my itinerary as is after looking at availability to certain locations. Until I find availability somehow in the A380 then I will consider giving CO a call..

25. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    More than 4K.

The new LH 747 isn't too shabby either.

Jimgotkp likes this.