Maximize earning miles on SFO- Asia trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sunshiner25, Jul 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. sunshiner25

sunshiner25 New Member

Status Points:
    Dear Experts,
    I need help understanding how to maximize earning miles on the Star Alliance network. I will be flying from San Francisco to Taipei to Bangkok to Seoul to Singapore and back to San Francisco. Will be in business class.
    Currently I am a united mile silver member.
    Which airline/airlines would be give the most miles for this trip? Should I stick to United or which other *A flight may be preferred?
    Thanks for the help in advance,
    Sunny

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You cannot do the whole trip on United, even if you wanted to. The TPE-BKK-SEL-SIN bit will all be on other carriers. Also, BKK-SEL-SIN is quite a bit out of the way; any chance you can do BKK & SIN together?

Beyond that, the number of points you earn will depend on whether you fly on UA or other airlines (OALs). The OAL flights will earn based on the travel distance while the UA flights would earn based on fare paid. If you're on a full-fare business class ticket odds are you'll do very well on UA metal. If you're on a discount ticket maybe not. But with the distance of those flights it would need to be a VERY cheap flight for you to better distance-based on partners.