Maximize 40% bonus and transfer all AMEX Points to Avios?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Mikus33, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have about 100,000 AMEX points sitting in my account, and I'm trying to decide if I should take full advantage of the 40% bonus by dumping all of my points into Avios now, even though I don't have a specific plan for them. Here are some details of my situation:

I currently have 36,000 Avios points, and my future travel plans include a trip to Africa next summer (maybe with points, maybe cash), and a possible 6 month RTW trip to South America, Asia, and I'm sure Europe as well beginning Jan 2013.

From what I've read, Avios seems like a great option for those short haul LAN and European flights, so that would really help offset the cost of the semi-long term RTW trip (and help minimize 10 hr chicken bus rides in South America).

The only other decent transfer option I've heard of is to Aeroplan, but I've heard they have high fees. I'm also not sure what kind of awards I can get with Aeroplan miles.

Right now, I'm looking to maximize number of trips, not quality (probably no F or J seats).

Seems like doubling down on the Avios bonus is a no brainer, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thoughts or suggestions?

alohastephen likes this.