Maximising points at boutique hotels

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by chinesescouser, Feb 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chinesescouser

chinesescouser Active Member

Status Points:
    So we're headed to Jamaica soon and if anyone knows about the Carribean, most hotels are either boutique and independently owned. There are very few mega chain hotels (i.e. SPG, Hyatt, etc.) at these destinations; plus I've found that they are not always the best accommodations as well.

My question: What is the best way to earn and maximize our point haul at independent hotels?
    We are already using Chase Sapphire to earn 2 points/dollar. I also tried using Ultimate Rewards website to book the hotel; but not all hotels are listed.

Any other ideas?

2. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try booking via hotels.com, get one free night after 10 nights with their welcome rewards.

3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are 10% off codes floating around most of the time. With the value of the hotel nights now diminished, it may be better to use those codes.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome Rewards is 10% straight up; if you can get a 10% discount up front that's probably better but you do not earn Welcome Rewards credit if using a coupon.

Also consider using a web mall portal (Chase UR is 4 points/$ spent; I can offer 5% in cash-back) for the hotels.com site.