Max of 4 on a reaervation?!!!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WilCo, Aug 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was booking a trip this weekend and .bomb kept erroring out on the payment screen. After about the 5th time beating my head against the computer keyboard, I decided to call.
    Helpful agent informs me she can only see 4 seats at that fare class. I assume someone bought a seat while I was deciding which flight to book. But no, I start my search again and same flight still comes up.

Instead of trying that again, I selected a different routing- same problem. So I call into have someone book it. Surely inventory didn't change again while I was selecting my flight. This agent tells me that they can't put more than 4 on the same itinerary. Ummm-ok. Why does .bomb allow you to search for more than 4 if it can't be booked?

So she puts 1 of us on a separate reservation and 4 on another. Of course, that's going to create problems with luggage benefits at check-in, but i can manage that I hope. But when I tried to select seats, the single person can't get e+ seats either. I called back in and a supervisor has to get involved, but all 5 of us are in e+ now. The agent didn't think we could do it because we aren't on same reservation. (not my fault). The platinum benefit includes up to 8 in e+ on same reservation. So why can't I put 8 on same reservation?

Anyone else experience this recently? Flights included lufthansa if that helps make sense. Any tips to avoid this in the future? We are now a family of 5. Making 2 reservations every time we fly will drive me to another airline when possible just from a simplicity standpoint. Hopefully the 2 agents that told me limit of 4 were misinformed.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may be because of a mixed-carrier issue? I know LH allows at least six and United allows 8 (or maybe 9, but maybe that was the old system), but it may be an inter-res-system issue?

3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I manage to live in Costa Rica because technology allows me to work from a tropical mountainside over the internet and VoIP. Still, I'm not sure that technology is my friend. It seems to drive me crazy at least as much as it has improved my life, and I am not technologically challenged. This is just another example of how we waste more time due to technology than we save with it.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, so near and yet so far -- I'll be in Guanacaste in a couple of weeks.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guanacaste is a great tourist location, but it is way too hot for this boy. I left Texas to escape the summer heat, not to extend it to a year-long season.

I live in a suburb of San Jose. It's a little bit cool here tonight, just like I like it. On the other hand, I can go to Tamarindo or Playa Del Coco in Guanacaste (or a variety of other beaches around this little country) any time I want, then come home to my idea of "perfection" after a couple of days' fun in the sun.

I must admit, however, that a certain Colombian "Paisa" has been the focus of all my recent free time. There are a lot of fun things to do in Latin America, but none of them compare to finding one who makes my heart thump a little faster. :D And we can do lots of the fun things together. Just a few years ago, had someone told me that this would be my life in 2012, I would have written them off as "loco."

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, but I'm just visiting for the weekend, so....

It's funny how life (not to mention travel) has its ways of changing our perspective, isn't it?

KenInEscazu likes this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will certainly enjoy yourself. There are so many places to visit in Guanacaste that one could spend a month there without seeing it all. Then add in the diversity of the REST of the country and the possibilities are almost infinite. I have live here for more than five years, but there are still many places here that I have not yet seen.

Very true. One thing I enjoy about this site is the adventurous nature that most of us share. It's amazing to me how many people never or rarely travel far from home. They are missing out on more than they could ever imagine.

My dad moved down here at the age of 84. After WW II, he only left home to drive to visit family, horse races or cover a story (he was a sports writer). His Alzheimer's kept him from adjusting to the new culture very well, but he was in awe of this place every time we left the house. I also took him to Panama one time, and MADE him go to see the canal. I don't think I have ever seen him so happy. He moved into a nursing home in TX last month, but he's a great example of someone who never wanted to travel, then enjoyed it like a child when he finally did. I'll never regret having him live with me until he absolutely HAD to have more care than I could provide.

desamo likes this.