Maui (Ka'anapali) with Kids - Westin or Sheraton

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by SuperW2, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Planning Maui trip in July (I know busy time of year, but when we have time off of school/work).

Planning on using SPG Points for a week or so, which resort would be recommended for family with 2 x 6 year old girls, who like pool's, slides and of course the beach. We stayed at another property a little ways a few years ago, and I don't really remember either of these specifically.

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa or The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali

2. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One Additional question, does anyone have handy the "Upgrade Options" available at either or both. I don't have enough SPG Points for a Suite Upgrade, but likely might for an upgraded view room, although not sure if worth not, but would like feedback from anyone familiar with these SPG Resorts.

3. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nevermind... I wasn't patient enough... I went ahead and booked the Westin and upgraded to Ocean View Room. Would welcome any feedback for recent stays at the Westin or anything to know for staying there with kids.

Thanks,!

Kaanapali likes this.
  4. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Westin is more kid-friendly than Sheraton.

5. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

6. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do people usually rent a car at OGG airport? I looked online for both hotels, they say taxi is $90+ or shuttle is $40/person. We are planning to be here in January, wanted to see if renting a car is the way to go.

Thank you,

PedroNY

Kaanapali likes this.
  7. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We rented last time we went a couple years ago, and am renting a vehicle again this time. We like to go on little mini-excursions, hikes, etc as opposed to being just at the hotel for 11 days. If we were there for a shorter time, or didn't plan on wanting to leave the property I'd probably shuttle or taxi.

8. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not know how old your children are...but the Westin has a very nice slide that drops down into its biggest pool (it has 5 pools for the 5 main islands...with the top-most pool an adult only one with a bar nearby for drinks and finger food) :)

9. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely rent a car...plenty of stuff to see on Maui!! Road to Hana if you like to drive a cliff-side road :)...driving up to Kapalua...driving south to see Wailea and Kihei...as well as the tourist things like Haleakala (definite do to see sun-rise) and 'Iao Valley :)

10. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I have twin 6 year old girls and they love slides and pools...looks like I made the right choice!

11. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree on the car rental - - sometimes you can get really decent rates, depending on the time of year. Disagree, however, on the Road to Hana - - waste of time, IMO.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having stayed at both as a child (4/5 trips to Hawaii were at Ka'anapali) I think the Westin was the right choice, though I'm not sure the ocean view upgrade is worth it (I guess if you use points it's okay). The pools are much better and you're right near the Whaler's Village. It will also be less of a walk to get to the Hyatt if you want to see the luau there. Personally I was always envious of the pools at the Hyatt, but I have not stayed there, and you want an SPG property anyway.

However, the Sheraton gets points for being right next to Black Rock, and if you plan on doing any snorkeling, that's where you should go. I was a very whiny child and hated the walk from the Westin. Bring some frozen peas and avoid spending $5 on the special food to attract the fish.

Regarding the car rental, yes you should get one. There is a train that goes from Ka'anapli to Lahaina, which was actually quite fun as a child (haven't been back since I was 14), but there are many places you can drive to in Maui. It is not quite as important as on Oahu, but I think it's worth it for the convenience if you want to go somewhere.

13. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 1st 4 nights of our trip we will be staying at the Hyatt with free Award room tickets, then 7 nights at the Westin (all with SPG points) so we will be getting the best of both I hope. I did use SPG points for the upgrade to the Ocean view, and I think it was only an extra 14K pts for the whole weeks worth of upgrades.

Kaanapali likes this.
  14. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt slide is enclosed (you are inside basically a tube)....and it drops you into deep pool water (well over ability to stand).....if your kids are good swimmers it should be ok.....
    Pool at Hyatt is huge....with a swim up bar in the cave/grotto section of the pool (which separates the main pool from the pool adjacent to the little kiddie's pool).

15. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    11 nights on Maui would be too long for me, personally. If it is an option, I'd consider spending part of the time at an SPG property on another island (granted, I'm not a big Hawaii fan in general and have not kept up on the SPG Hawaii properties and redemption rates recently).

16. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not an option at this point because everything is booked... 11 nights is just about right, but I like Hawaii and this will only be our 2nd trip to Maui and 3rd overall.

Kaanapali likes this.
  17. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As for the Westin, I think it is the right choice with kids. Great pools that they will enjoy.

As for renting a car, I absolutely would. If you can, I would get one of the convertibles. Kids would love having the top down and seeing the stars. I know, you didn't ask, but a couple of things I would definitely look into doing is going on the America's Cup boat or one of the other sailing boats. The America's Cup boat is one of the actual Cup boats that has been modified for tourists. Be ware, you will get wet - but it is a lot of fun.

Also, it is expensive, but go to Mama's Fish house for lunch or dinner. Fantastic fish. If you are there during the day, you will often see windsurfers that are fantastic. Very enjoyable to watch.

Have a great time.

18. Downunder girl
    Original Member

Downunder girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at both properties last year with my teen daughter. We both loved the Sheraton more than Westin. The pools at Westin were great, but we had a lot of fun in the Sheraton pool too. I found the staff, rooms and location of Sheraton MUCH better. In fact, I would NOT go back to Westin again. We were lied to about suite availability and then grudgingly upgraded to the most run down suite I have ever laid eyes on (stains on carpet, furniture, someone's old shoes in the wardrobe, rusty & loose bolts on hand rail on the balcony - safety issue). One night was enough. We were so happy to be out of there. Of course, as with everything, YMMV :).

We loved the snorkeling at Black Rock...totally awesome.

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reviving this old master thread... I'm booked at the Sheraton with Suite Night Awards pending and I'm 95% sure it's where we want to be. The 5% difference is the Westin Heavenly Bed. I love that bed. :)

I've been to the Sheraton as a teenager and have good memories (jumping off Black Rock!), and snorkeling is high on the list with my wife and I. That and other activities being available are the draw... well, that and Westin "North Tower" horror stories. Essentially what I'm asking, is there any reason NOT to stay at the Sheraton?

20. DeniseC

DeniseC Active Member

Status Points:
    Just saw this - hope you haven't taken your trip yet. I've been going to the Maui Westin for years and am sad to say each time I've been in the last 2 years has been worse than the time before. I was just there in May and the Ocean view rooms are in the tower that is under construction. In general all rooms are small, cramped and badly in need of cleaning and refurbishing. I'm actually surprised that Westin allows this complex to operate under their brand. If you can change your reservations to the Sheraton, do it!!

21. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    So his post was dated April 2011, I'm assuming he went. Me? You're making me feel good about the Sheraton. We'll arrive Wednesday and looking at spg all their properties are sold out already. Glad I reserved early!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

22. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have kids, why don't you consider the villas? Load up at Costco and you have lot's of meals in. Food is not cheap at Kaanapali.

23. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    We tend to eat smaller and more often, usually snacking on things like nuts, jerky, etc., and we're bringing that with us (space open for souvenirs on the trip back). We'll shop for oter things when we get there (fruit, etc.). We'll take breakfast as Platinum benefit for the mornings, and we'll be near the deli in whalers village. I'd have loved to have done the villas but the goal this trip was to be on the beach and close to black rock.

That and the airfare was paid for last year and the room is on points... so our only expenses are food and entertainment/activities... Plus we had the luau experience last time at Waikoloa so no need to repeat here.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint