MasterCard warns of possible security breach, Visa also reportedly affected

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by JohnDeere19, Mar 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Switch2 and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update!:eek:

wrxmom and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gonna be interesting to see how many accounts were actually compromised. The report I heard said it was mostly business cards that will be affected.

wrxmom, LETTERBOY and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. annetaylor

annetaylor New Member

Status Points:
    Well, I heard about that news too. And ss far as I know,Credit cards are supposed to be relatively secure. A payment processor that deals with both Visa and MasterCard, however, has revealed a "massive security breach.The data breach reportedly could have compromised up to 10 million credit card numbers.On the otherhand, Credit cards generally carry personal information in multiple ways to ensure that the card is more difficult to counterfeit. Since both Track 1 and Track 2 data was revealed in the security breach, which means that full credit cards can be duplicated with the data.Sounds bad really.But anyway,Mastercard has already send alert to banks and credit union that issued compromised card of the breach.Well, that's just one
    step to be done. Hope this wont happen again. If you want to know more abot this, I'll give you my reference: MasterCard and Visa investigating major data breach

5. annetaylor

annetaylor New Member

Status Points:
    Well, I heard about that news too. And ss far as I know,Credit cards are supposed to be relatively secure. A payment processor that deals with both Visa and MasterCard, however, has revealed a "massive security breach.The data breach reportedly could have compromised up to 10 million credit card numbers.On the otherhand, Credit cards generally carry personal information in multiple ways to ensure that the card is more difficult to counterfeit. Since both Track 1 and Track 2 data was revealed in the security breach, which means that full credit cards can be duplicated with the data.Sounds bad really.But anyway,Mastercard has already send alert to banks and credit union that issued compromised card of the breach.Well, that's just one
    step to be done. Hope this wont happen again. If you want to know more abot this, I'll give you my reference: MasterCard and Visa investigating major data breach

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it's random, although I doubt it... but Citi sent me a message today to let me know that I should call them about my card.

I use my card at "NYC-area parking garages" all the time, and sure enough when I called they said my card might be in the list of compromised accounts and it would need to be replaced.

They immediately killed off my card and are sending me a new one overnight, so I guess they're not taking any chances that something might happen between now and the time I get the new card.