MasterCard gift cards with no/low activation fee at selected supermarkets

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Nelumbo, Aug 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is an ongoing promotion on MasterCard gift card in some supermarkets: Acme, Albertsons, Cub Foods, Farm Fresh, Hornbachers, Jewel, Lucky, Shaws, Shop 'n Save, and Shoppers Food.
    A $5 coupon for use in the next shopping is offered when you buy $50 or more in MasterCard gift cards.
    The activation fee is $4.95 for a $50 gift card and $5.95 for an $100 gift card.
    One transaction of multiple gift cards only gives one $5 coupon. Make sure you buy each gift card per transaction to maximize the coupon numbers. This promotion expires 9/11/2011.
    When you use the $5 coupon for shopping, there is a limit of one coupon per transaction per day.
    It looks great if you need to meet some spending requirement for your cards or get more miles/points with higher bonus in the category of grocery shopping.

rwoman and canucklehead like this.
  2. MrHalliday
    Original Member

MrHalliday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't recognize any of those stores being in Central Texas ?
    Thanx.

3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Albertson's is in Dallas, not sure how far South they go. They had this promotion at Randall's/Tom Thumb a couple of weeks ago (Randall's is in Houston, BTW). Might be good to watch your local store (sometimes even HEB has offers like this).

4. skynerd

skynerd Active Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like great news.

Your list of participating chains is lengthy enough that I assume you got that list from some document rather than visiting one store from each of those chains. So, I would be interested to know if there is a printed coupon we need, or a web page explaining the promotion or a sign in the store that you saw. If there was a printed sign in a store, I imagine readers would be interested in knowing where it was located, so we could try to look for it at our local stores more quickly (at the cashiers, on the gift card rack, near the entrance, etc.).

In any case, thanks for the useful tip.

5. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are signs next to the racks of the gift cards in the stores. From my experience at the Shaws, no prior coupon is required, and you will get a $5 coupon printed out for the next shopping when you check out.

6. MrHalliday
    Original Member

MrHalliday Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, am in AUS,
    Albertson's seems to have moved on,
    but Randall's is my primary store,
    so I will keep my eyes open for the sign !!

7. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    a couple of Supermarkets by me have a sign, GCs can be purchased with Ca$h or Debit Cards ONLY :mad:

8. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many do have signs, but I have bought GCs numerous times and it is rarely enforced. The only time when they mentioned that was when I tried to buy GC with GC.