Master thread: Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by dhammer53, Aug 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are headed to Glacier National Park in 2012. The plan is to spend a week there.
    Best airport to fly in? Would that also be the best for car rentals/prices?

We may spend a second week heading to Banff/Jasper/Calgary. Any info on flights would be appreciated, unless you think we should drive.

If you've been to GNP, I'd like to read about your trip.

2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you should do the Great Circle... I'm doind that on July 2012. Will be arriving in Calgary, which has more rental car options and then go to Edmonton, Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff and Calgary. What do you think?

3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know. I'll have to start doing the research. A friend told me that ressies start booking up 11 and 12 months out at GNP.

SC Flier and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Jennifer Teti

Jennifer Teti Active Member

Status Points:
    When we went to Glacier back in 2006, we flew into Kalispell, MT on UA. Tiny airport! The rental car guy was waiting at baggage claim for us with a sign!

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew into Calgary, picked up a rental car and drove to Banff (warning: admission fee to get anywhere near the town charged at a sort of national park entrance along the main highway--IIRC it was a seven-day vehicle pass) and Lake Louise, plus part of the way to Jasper to see some glaciers. It worked well and the roads were excellent, although I highly recommend doing the secondary road (IIRC along Moose Lake) between Banff and Lake Louise. Be sure to take the time to drive up the mountain to the ski area in order to see wildlife, notably the curly-horned sheep in big flocks on the road; allow time for wildlife to let your vehicle pass.

Also, don't take risks by getting too close to baby elk or attempting to touch or pet an elk. Observe bear precautions and do not exit your vehicle when a bear has been spotted along the road. Watch out for "bear jams" when driving and be ready to stop suddenly.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    are you still on plan to see GNP? I still have not made the journey sadly so am planning to live vicariously through you!

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Change of plans. Since BA is changing their program on Nov 16th, I plan on booking a trip to South America using LAN to snag 80k biz award tickets. All this before the rates go up. I didn't plan on doing this trip in 2012, but BA is forcing my hand. :mad: ;)

SC Flier, Gargoyle and Sweet Willie like this.