MASTER Q/A

Discussion in 'SMD6 (Star MegaDO #6)' started by Randy Petersen, Feb 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Welcome to the Star Alliance MegaDO 6 (SMD6) Master Q/A. This thread is designed to capture some of the more popular questions into a single thread with a single answer for you to refer to. We hope you find it helpful and useful.

What Time To Be Where
    Seat swaps
    Promo registration
    Passport requirement
    Ticket transfers / refunds
    Split reservations SO/Significant other
    Attending activities but not flying on the Charter?
    Hotel splits / Room shares
    Transportation
    Good seat / Bad seat
    Positioning flights / Wednesday departure

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    kiwi likes this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    WHAT TIME TO BE WHERE
    Q. What time are we leaving the Radisson Blu SkyCity Arlanda for SAS program on Monday?
    A. We will depart the hotel at 10am.

Q. What time are we leaving The May Fair for the Star Alliance session on Wednesday?
    A. Transportation to LHR is your responsibility and you are free to take any means you’d like. However you get there, the event start in T2 at 10am.

Q. Why no airport transportation, all other MegaDOs included it?
    A. We are providing transport from LGW to the hotel on the 12th. However, given the multiple hotels in London and the varying plans for after the LHR event, we determined it was better to leave the LHR transportation up the attendees.

kiwi likes this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    SEAT SWAPS
    Q: I tried to book a seat near someone else and did not get it. How can I switch seats?
    A: Good question. We're certainly aware that the popularity of the SMD6 will make for displaced opportunities to sit near others you might have hoped to sit next to. As veteran frequent flyers, we know how this works ... a simple tap on the shoulder and a quick doe-eyed explanation about a seat swap not always, but many times can get it accomplished. Actually, here's a suggestion. Identify where your seat is and hover around those seats in the immediate area or, with months to go before flight time, just inquire to their online name (most likely milepoint/flyertalk) via a PM/Conversation and see about a simple seat swap. This is a very friendly group and you may find a friendly receptive reply. If so, please notify the organizers of the SMD6 so we can verify and update the seat map of any changes. Remember that the flight is but one part of the actual SMD6 and if you aren't able to complete a seat swap, there's plenty of other time to be around others you know personally during the programs. As for what might be used as an enticement to ensure a seat swap? That list is far too long to post here ...

kiwi likes this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    PROMO REGISTRATION
    Q: Are we automatically registered for the elite Concierge status for Club Carlson?
    A: Yes, if you provide your Club Carlson number during registration you are automatically registered for the status match. You must be a registered guest in the host hotels in order to receive the status match.

kiwi likes this.
  5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    PASSPORT REQUIREMENT
    Q: Wondering can you clarify for me, if I am getting one but do not currently hold it, can i fill in whatever info then and edit it out later or do you want valid at time of booking?Also what is it being used for other than proof of citizenship? I am not a US born citizen and has caused problems for me in the past. If they scrutinize country of origin, I would like to know beforehand.
    A: Let's try the answer in several parts. The first answer is YES, you can fill in the information later on and it is not necessary to confirm a booking. However, a passport is an absolute requirement for SMD6 (Star MegaDO6) due to the flight between the Schengen Area and England.

There are two concerns which we want to address in using a passport requirement. First, it is the one form of ID guaranteed to be acceptable to the airline. By requiring a passport, we eliminate questions about what documents are acceptable (National ID cards, etc). Second, it helps us make plans in case there are certain activities in the program which we find out later on are restricted to citizens of certain countries (we have no plans for such an activity, but you never know what comes up).

The information you provide may be provided to SAS as part of the manifest. It may also be provided to Airbus, and the ARN and LHR airport authorities, in order to receive security clearance for the tours.

kiwi likes this.
  6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    TICKET TRANSFERS / REFUNDS
    Q: I cannot attend anymore. May I get a refund?
    A: Yes, the terms for cancellations are spelled out in the terms and conditions. Basically the terms state that:
    • If you cancel 45 or more days before departure, you are entitled to a refund of $150.00.
    • If you cancel within 44 days before departure, you will get a refund of $0.00.
    After commencement of travel, no changes, substitutions or refunds on any portions of tickets may be made.

To request a refund, email megado@megado.com.

Q. I cannot attend anymore. May I trade my ticket with someone else?
    A. Yes, ticket transfers are allowed for a $50 change fee. All transfers or substitutions are subject to approval by MegaDo, LLC. The process is as follows:

1. Find someone who wants your ticket. Do NOT exchange funds on your own.
    2. Email us at megado@megado.com with the details, include the name and email addresses of both the original attendee and the new attendee, also note who will pay the transfer fee of $50.
    3. We will provide a booking link to the new attendee, which will request all of the required information and allow for payment, including the $50 transfer fee if they are paying it, to be made.
    4. Upon receipt of registration and payment by the new attendee, we will refund the original attendee's credit card, less the $50 if they are paying the transfer fee.
    With the exception of the above method, tickets are non-endorsable, non-transferable and non-refundable. After commencement of travel, no changes, substitutions or refunds on any portions of tickets may be made.

If you're looking for someone to exchange your ticket with, consider posting in the MilePoint thread.

kiwi likes this.
  7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    SPLIT RESERVATIONS FOR SO/SIGNIFICANT OTHER
    Q: How can I avoid booking the two of us but avoid two different reservations and two far apart seat assignments?
    A: The ticketing system allows for up to 5 tickets to be purchased at once. People on the same reservation will be seated together when we do seat assignment. If you have separate bookings, please note on your registration form who you would like to seat near and we will do our best to accommodate the request.

kiwi likes this.
  8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    ATTENDING ACTIVITIES AS A LOCAL / NOT FLYING THE CHARTER
    Q: I wasn't able to book a seat on the Charter but live in the London/Stockholm area. Can I attend that part of the program?
    A: No. It’s a common question and we really wish we could say yes, but there are at least five different events planned and each sponsor has created a program based on the passenger count of the airplane. Given that there are transportation, security, banquet and many other issues that go along with each event, we're really concerned that opening any event up would lead to confusion and a strain on the budgets of those sponsors who are already working full-time to account for just those confirmed on the Charter flight. The idea is a good one, but honestly, the planning that goes into these is better at this point based on a finite number of attendees.

kiwi likes this.
  9. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    HOTEL SPLITS / ROOM SHARES
    Q: I was going to book a hotel room but worried about the budget I've got. Any advice for seeing if I can share a room with a fellow passenger?
    A: That's a really good question and there is a thread within this forum which is designed specifically for helping you identify a possible room share. Post your interest, whether it’s being available to share a room (you have not booked yet) or looking to share a room (you have booked a room). Good luck, good question.
    THREAD LINK

kiwi likes this.
  10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    TRANSPORTATION?
    Q: Will there be a charter bus between the events and The May Fair hotel or the Clarion Arlanda hotel on the itinerary? Or will we be responsible for our own transportation of some sort?
    A: Attendees of the optional dinner on the 10th will be responsible for their own transportation. We will provide train tickets to get from LGW to The May Fair hotel after the charter flight on the 12th. Attendees are also responsible for their own transportation to and from LHR on the 13th.

kiwi likes this.
  11. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    GOOD SEAT / BAD SEAT
    Q. I tried to purchase a Business Class seat but it was sold out and snagged an Economy Class seat instead. I'm not that comfortable in the middle seat I ended up with. Is there a waitlist for an upgrade?
    A: Let's answer your question. Honestly, there is no such thing as a good seat / bad seat on a MegaDO. The activities on board, the conversations and yes, the occasional antics make the time pass all too quickly. Now, if the assignment of a middle seat was not acceptable given the choices and the circumstances, we'll participate as best we can to find something else, but let's just be reasonable an understand—on this Charter, all seats are excellent. Now to really answer, your question ... we do have a waitlist for all upgraded classes so please let us know how far to the front of the plane you want to go.

kiwi likes this.
  12. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    POSITIONING FLIGHTS / WEDNESDAY DEPARTURE
    Q: Any ideas on the length of the Wednesday program as I want to start looking at flight connections back home on May 13th?
    A: The program will end at 3pm on the 13th.

kiwi likes this.
  13. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Train goes to Victoria. What is transportation from Victoria to the Mayfair (in Mayfair)?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  14. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not certain at this point. Probably Tube as it's only 1 stop, though those who haven't been to London before might want to do the 20 minute walk as you pass the palace and walk through a brilliant park.

flospi likes this.
  15. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too far to walk with luggage. Would need to take a cab likely or just stay at the optional hotel at Victoria and take the tube to the Mayfair for the party or walk. Although not sure if I would walk through the park at night.

So question is: Is a tube (Oyster card) included along with the Gatwick Express ticket to Victoria, in order to complete a train trip to Green Park (in Mayfair)? It would take a while if 130 people need to buy a tube ticket upon arrival at Victoria.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    rehoult and theBOAT like this.
  16. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the person I guess :) I happily walk the mile from Hyde Park Corner to the Hyatt with luggage as the park is always bustling with activity.

Re: Oyster Card, I doubt it, as the activation fee is more than the zone-1 cash fare. Either way, more details to follow.

Pat+ likes this.
  17. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since breakfast is at the Radisson Blu SkyCity Arlanda at 04:30 AM, I assume this is the hotel at ARN.

Per the ARN website, the Clarion and the Radisson Blu SkyCity are both between Term 4 and 5. Hence I assume the self transportation from Radisson SkyCity to the Clarion at SkyCity is by foot. Correct?

Clarion Hotel Arlanda Airport
    Clarion Hotel Arlanda Airport is located in SkyCity, between Terminal 4 and 5. The hotel offers meeting venues for 2 to 900 people, a bar and restaurant with views of the runways, a gym and a heated outdoor pool.
    Telephone: +46 (0)8 444 18 00
    E-mail: cl.arlanda@choice.se
    Clarion Hotel Arlanda Airport website (new window)

Radisson Blu SkyCity Hotel & Radisson Blu Arlanda Airport Conference
    Located in the heart of SkyCity between Terminals 4 and 5. The Arlanda Express high-speed train, commuter and long-distance trains, check-in, shopping and services are only a few minutes' walk away. The hotel has conference rooms for up to 80 people.
    Telephone: +46 (0)8 506 740 00
    E-mail: guest.skycity.stockholm@radissonblu.com
    Radisson Blu SkyCity Hotel website (new window)

18. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    atman and TAHKUCT like this.
  19. w0r1dtrave1er

w0r1dtrave1er Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to this event. I have an Oyster Card, and I even have a Heathrow Express one-way in my travel wallet.

20. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Yes, it is the foot patrol and I walked it myself last August just to make sure it was accessible. Very pleasant and of course the Swedes are helpful w/ directions.

LIH Prem likes this.
  21. wenglehaupt

wenglehaupt Active Member

Status Points:
    Is there a link up yet to get rooms at the Raddison or Mayfair??

TAHKUCT likes this.
  22. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not yet, sorry. When the link is available we'll send an email to all participants.

23. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that the ARN hotel has changed to the more remote hotel (not the SkyCity) is foot patrol still possible? Or will it be necessary to take the hotel shuttle to the airport and then walk from there?

24. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Google maps streetview suggests it is walkable (and not too far), but with no shelter if the weather is inclement.

25. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    2km, without sidewalks for most of the way. Shuttle seems a far better option.

SASDC8 likes this.