Master fare code translator for *A carriers?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by TravelerRob, Aug 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    I'm wondering if someone can point me to some master spreadsheet/database/webpage that shows the conversion of one *A carrier fare code to a different *A carrier's fare code.

For example, an LH-coded "S" fare on an AC-operated flight translates to what?

It drives me insane that this data is not readily available on United.com and the flyer is left completely guessing whether the flight will earn miles in their *A program...UA in my case.

Short of a link or document showing the fare codes, does anyone know what LH "S" translates to on AC?

Thanks,
    RM

2. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I'm reading the question wrong, but if you purchased it from LH -- isn't it just the LH code that matters, and not what AC will call it? I've never paid attention the the code of the airline flying the flight, just the code used by where it was purchased as they are the ones that will post the miles.

In this case, a LH "S" class fare only accumulates 50% of the standard miles. (if crediting to aeroplan, if crediting to LH, it should earn whatever the S class earns with LH)

All scheduled flights operated by Lufthansa, CityLine and LH Train service are eligible*†.

Please refer to the tables below to see how many miles you'll earn based on eligible booking class.

Mileage Earned‡§

All regular scheduled flights except for Intra-European flights**
    W, S 50% of miles flown

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak for all *A carriers but United (UA) credits miles based on the operating carrier only. The marketing carrier has nothing to do with the mileage posting. So in my original post when I asked about an LH "S" fare on AC I'm asking what the equivalent fare class is on AC because that's how the miles will credit to my UA account. Chances are very high that an LH "S" fare will earn 100% in UA when operated by AC because UA offers more earnings options with AC than it does LH believe it or not. But I wanted to confirm that before I purchase the ticket.

I figured you had started one of these :) Unfortunately you only have "Z" class listed for LH->AC which doesn't help me right now.

-RM

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is helpful.

6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand the question better now. And think I got caught with the same issue as you over the weekend.

Typically I fly only AC metal, but over the last year or so have broadened my horizon. Typically if flying United or US Airways I book on their site, and credit back to aeroplan. When flying domestic business (north america), I've always been credited 150% of the miles for domestic 'first'.

Last week I booked through Air Canada, but had a last minute change and ended up selecting all codeshare flights on United in domestic 'first'. Despite these being the same flights that if I booked with United gave me 150%, because they booked through Air Canada on United planes, I only got 125%. I'm pretty sure if these exact same flights had been booked through united I would have got 150%.

Seems like crazy rules, but I think I understand the your question now. The hard way lol.