Massachusetts family's 9/11 suit questions Logan security

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Jun 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/massachusetts_familys_911_suit.html

The family of a Massachusetts man killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks claims in court documents that private security screeners at Logan International Airport were not made aware of the terrorist threat from al-Qaida, did not know what chemical Mace was, and had trouble communicating in English.

The suit against the airlines and the security company was brought by the family of Mark Bavis, who died when his flight from Boston was flown into the World Trade Center's south tower.
    Bavis' twin brother, Mark, tells the Boston Herald that it is "shocking" that it took longer than nine years for the details to come out.

The Herald reports that the suit is the last 9/11 suit still pending.
    The airline and security company declined comment on pending litigation.

2. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some reason, I remember that the hijackers actually cleared security in Portland, ME, and connected airside at Logan. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Atta did. If I remember correctly, a lot of them fanned out and went through various checkpoints at dffierent airports.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but there's CCTV video footage of one of the bad guys getting a secondary search at Dulles.

Can't really fault the private screeners personally, they were only executing the directives The G gave them. Then the way-over-the-top over-reaction to create the TSA, and now you have the classic definition (and consequences) of a knee-jerk reaction.

Flag_November likes this.
  4. Flag_November
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had my carry-on bag emptied completely today at DFW terminal A. I am sure everyone felt safer. My experience is that if you don't take out your iPad, you get your bag dumped out on a table.

5. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    That shouldn't have been the reason - per the TSA's own propaganda blog, the iPad and other tablets do not need to come out of carry-on baggage for separate inspection (like a laptop would). I've gone through TSA screening at various airports with my iPad stashed in my laptop bag & haven't been stopped or searched.

Did you have a lot of loose cable or something extremely thick/dense in your carry-on? From what I recall reading here and on the other site, if the TSO running the x-ray has a problem distinguishing the contents in your bag due to an obstruction, they may call for a bag check. But the iPad shouldn't have anything to do with it on its own.

6. Flag_November
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had several charging cables and what not, and some books and magazines, and my toiletries. And a digital camera. They said I had too much stuff. I travel very light on business, but this is a pleasure trip so I took all my toys.