MASH restaurant Copenhagen

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by TRAVELSIG, May 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the considerable hype surrounding Noma in Copenhagen- I thought to post a short review of MASH, which was recommended to me by some colleagues and where we had dinner last night.

Overall, this is a good restaurant- it is certainly not pretending to be nor at the level of Noma- but the quality of food is good, the service excellent, and a very interesting wine list including a great selection from Oregon if you happen to like Pinots.

The energy level is high, and the place has an interesting cross-section of customers- I will return here- and can say that it is one of the better choices if you want to eat steak in central Copenhagen. It is not particularly inexpensive- budget around 800DKK per person and you will be fine. One diner did have a problem with their meat (overcooked) and the chef responded very professionally and was able to solve the issue in a few minutes.

SirRagnar likes this.
  2. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update. I'm assuming that you ate at MASH Bredgade? I have heard positive things about it from others, as well. Reservations are a bit tough, though.

However, I ate at Mash Skovriderkroen and was a little underwhelmed. Not a terrible steak, just not at the level of a top steakhouse. Probably at the level of someplace like Capital Grille, I thought, but not up to the level of a top independent like Peter Luger's.

FWIW, I was pleasantly surprised by Madklubben steak, and would recommend it as a cheaper downtown Copenhagen option. Three courses starts at DKK 300. Not nearly the wine list of MASH, though, but some decent selections. In general, I've been pleased to very pleased with the Madklubben group restaurants, for cheaper meals.

There are also two other options in Østerbro that are probably worth considering. Rex Republic is excellent in an old school way. And, while I have not eaten at the "restaurant", I can attest to the quality of the beef at Gourmandiet (esp. the t-bone and cotes du bouef), and they would have to be completely incompetent to mess it up, so Gourmandiet by Night might be worth a gamble if you want the meat sweats.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks travelgourmet for the update. Yes- MASH Bregade. It was very busy so I can imagine it can be tough to book. I will check out the other places you have suggested next time in Copenhagen.