Marriott's in San Diego

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by MyTravels, Apr 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    When staying in downtown San Diego there are a number of Marriott properties to consider. I have a couple of past-due reviews to add, but thought I'd summarize my findings on the downtown SD properties first

San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina (Cat 7)
    Two towers, north has more balconies, the south tower has the lounge. In addition to being right on the water (wonderful views) it's just north of the convention center.

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter (Cat 6)
    Has a lot of great reviews and a great location with upper floors peering into the SD Padres baseball stadium, but no pool. Many posts comment about being a "Gaslamp person" or a "Marina person" – I never understood what that meant, but I'll add it for those of you that do know.

Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa (Cat 6)
    Some reviews mentioned it's a bit sterile/too futuristic, others liked it being more isolated, out on the island. There are ferries that run between the marina & Coronado Island. Also note the "Resort" in the name - which means no breakfast for elites.

Courtyard San Diego Downtown (Cat 5)
    To be honest, I didn't research as I avoid Courtyards as they don't offer complimentary breakfast to elites.

Residence Inn San Diego Gaslamp Quarter (Cat 5)
    Nice hotel and great location (less than a block from the Marriott Gaslamp). Small outdoor pool with gym nearby (must go outside to access gym).

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown (Cat 5)
    Nice hotel and close to the Zoo & Maritime Museum. The Gaslamp district is within walking distance but it's also near the Trolley.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    This property has been added to my list of favorite Marriotts.

Checkin: Elite desk, competent staff, very friendly.

Upgrades: I arrived very early and said I know that I'm early and can wait for a better room. They checked me in early and upgraded me to a suite. They also honored late checkout (matching Starwoods 4pm checkout for elites).

Room: The hotel looked very well maintained with a walk-out balcony facing the harbor. Few rooms in the south tower facing the marina (only the suites?) have balconies, while the north tower looked like it had balconies for most rooms facing the marina.

Lounge (South Tower): The faire changed each day, sometimes the evening snack was nothing more than a snack, sometimes pretty close to a dinner. The staff was amazing, they usually came around to personally tell people, "Last call" before they removed the food. One day, I guess because it was so crowded, they kept breakfast open over a 1/2 hour after they did last call (and beyond the time posted). On another occasion we arrived about 5 minutes late for the evening snack and the staff put together a plate of a few items for us.

Grounds: Nice pool and bar area. The fire pits are welcoming on chilly evenings. The gym is in the north tower, I went outside, but I think you can go through the lobby if you don't want to go outside to make it to the gym.

Staff: The staff are impeccable. I didn't meet anyone who wasn't top-notch from a service perspective. I even witnessed some very rude guests and each staff member handled the situation very professionally.

PS: As read in other reviews I can confirm that the property frequently allows access to the amenities when staying at another Marriott family property.

3. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    This property is a bit of a mixed bag both from a property and staffing perspective.

Checkin: Elite line acknowledged status and said as an elite member we'd get one free bowl of chips & dip at the bar.

Upgrades: The hotel was close to capacity at checkin so they gave a top-floor room with one of the better views (in lieu of an upgrade). Late checkout request wasn't honored. (presumably they needed our "great room" for another elite checking in as they had lots of availability at the end of our stay)

Room: Although it had a nice view, there were quite a few downsides. You could hear the air conditioner on the roof each night and water running through pipes in the ceiling (also roof related?) I try to be a low-maintenance guest so I didn't complain or ask to move rooms, and I honestly think they meant well, but I'd avoid the top floor going forward.

The room is spacious and has a full refrigerator but with a very odd layout – maybe the hotel was retro fitted to be an RI? (although it was just built in 2009). Bathroom sink is in a wood cabinet/counter outside of the bathroom. If the sink was initially outside the bathroom I'd expect them to extend the wall built it in, but it looks like the sink was forgotten and added later. The flat-panel TV is mounted on the wall and to the far right of the room when sitting on the bed. It would be just right of center if the cabinet/counter was removed, but of course the counter is there.

Breakfast: Standard RI breakfast. During the week they have real utensils and plates (rather than plastic) which is very welcome. On weekends they use plastic.

Grounds: The lobby had a bar/desk area for working on your laptop (of course free WiFi in RI's). There is a small heated pool outside and gym. Although you must go outside the building to go to the gym. Not ideal on chilly evenings.

Staff: The staff at checkin and breakfast were polite/competent. The front desk staff our last two days were rude. Upon departing, I walked up to the checkin counter and put the keys down and said, here are the keys. They kept talking to one another and ignored that I was even there.