Marriott won't status match / challenge?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by ClarkyBoy, May 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

Decided to take the plunge and try the Marriott program everyone is talking about :)

As a Hyatt Diamond and Starwood Platinum with over 90+ nights thought it would be easy to at least get a challnege, but i got denied twice (and a bit rudley i might add, but that might just be me...)

Is Marriot really not accepting people into their plan via status match / challenge - or is it just the way i look on my application picture? :)

Thanks

ClarkyBoy

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Forget status match, they should be willing to give you a platinum challenge. It requires nine stays within three months.

gleff and uggboy like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You can get the challenge via phone and email though phone seems more likely to offer platinum vs gold. You get the status during the challenge so that would work give your stay volume..

ClarkyBoy and uggboy like this.
  4. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, i'll try the phone!

The (somewhat rude) rep specifically emailed me back saying they won't offer me any challenge after i politly mentioed i'm surprised marriot wouldn't even give me the option to move my stays over.
    Which phone number would you use to get the best result?

Thanks!
    ClarkyBoy

5. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Nacho - tried it - these are the guys who wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
    I apologize that there is no current feature, benefit, or promotion of the Marriott Rewards program called a "PLT Challenge".

7. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome. Called them up, found a really nice rep and took 10 min to setup.
    I got the 9 stays PLAT challenge - wish there would be a night option as I typically stay in same location for a week, but with some creative hoping around shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you for the advice!

ClarkyBoy

8. cousineddie

cousineddie Active Member

Status Points:
    Was granted platinum challenge in less than 5 minutes yesterday. Must have 9 stays before the end of August

9. jb4647

jb4647 New Member

Status Points:
    If I'm already a Plat because of business travel last year am I still eligible for this perk? In other words, will I be able to maintain my Plat status thru 2/15 by just staying 9 nights this year rather than the usual 75?

10. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes but you need to drop down to Gold before they will give you a challenge.

11. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am Platinum with IHG (RC), and when I wrote to Marriott in 2012 I emailed two different departments. One offered me a gold challenge that sucked, and another email offered me a Platinum challenge, which I still have today, despite not using Marriott much in 2013.

It's pretty clear that you have to be persistent to get a challenge type of deal. But it's worth those few calls or emails to get the right person on the phone. Maybe ask for a supervisor.

I had a bit of a bad experience with a Holiday Inn property in Georgia (room infested with bugs, I checked out right away but they still tried to charge me for my nonexistent stay in a bug infested room). So I switched to Marriott completely now.

I've found that while they tend to run slightly more expensive than Holiday Inn, they have really stepped up their game. Their upgrades for Platinum members are very good. And since I last tried them seriously in 2012, a lot more of their properties have refrigerators in the room, which is a big deal for me. (Who wants a warm bottle of water?).

AaronInBKK likes this.