Marriott Rewards Punishes Members With Big Redemption Increase Again!

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Kalboz, Feb 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another slaughter was just announced .... very disheartening indeed! :(

Marriott Rewards published its 2015 category changes for redemption made on or after March 20, 2015, with a whopping 36% of Marriott's properties changing categories. But the shocking part is that 75% of those hotels are moving up in category, while only 25% of hotels are moving down. This seems to be an annual event with Marriott Rewards as @gleff observed here: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ers-again-with-big-increase-in-reward-prices/

The need for this annual devaluation makes Marriott Rewards a poor choice for loyalty, and this is coming from a very big Marriott fan. The attached list provided by Marriott is is equally chaotic with the Cologne property placed between Akron and Zhengzhou ones, as one FTer noted.

You can still book the current redemption rates until the March 20th date.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    And announcing it during Freddies voting doesn't seem like a smart move either.

Unless they expect props for having been honest . . . Not sure how well that will work, though

Kalboz, ContinentalFan and uggboy like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    No matter what negative changes Marriott makes they always win an award at the Freddies. Marriott has a strong network of hotels which is why there are so many loyal Marriott Rewards members who will vote for them.

Kalboz, ContinentalFan and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They vote for "mediocre" redemption values and for "superior" choice of locations. Get it. Cheers. :)

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, the hyperbole.

"Slaughter" is quite an entertaining choice of words.

And, yes, the major programs reset award categories annually. Mostly based on ADR so if room rates are up - and they mostly are in the past 12 months - then award rates go up, too. SPG was a bit better but still increased rates at 10% of its properties this year.

As for the Freddies, not a whole lot going on there in terms of influencing policy if I had to bet.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not surprised to see the Marriott Bangkok Soi 57 move up to a 5, but I am surprised to see the Rennaisance move back down to a 5 and the Courtyard up to a 4.

Thomask, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyperbole shmiperpole or whatever ... okay maybe not a slaughter, but for sure we are getting clobbered! The fact remains that this annual "ritual" of screwing your most loyal guests is getting ridiculous, even though might not be intended, and will have negative consequences especially on those who are redeeming the Category 5 certs.

As for the necessity to reset is explained by a one @gleff in the comment section: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/02/26/marriott-rewards-2015-hotel-category-adjustments/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Counsellor, uggboy and MX like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now you have 3 category 5 properties in Thailand for the 1-5 category certs. :eek:

Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa also went up a notch (see top of page-12 of the attached list).

uggboy likes this.
  9. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thailand is not the worst - think about Hong Kong - the JW there is going to be Cat. 9! All hotels in HK goes up in 1 cat except the SkyCity Marriott - which is already insane as a cat 6 considering it's an airport hotel.

Thomask, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why wouldn't they? Hyatt's a great program, but their footprint is so tiny compared to Hilton, IHG and Marriott it's not funny. A great program does me no good if the hotels aren't where I need to stay.

If ADR and room rates are regularly increasing in a healthy economy, do you seriously expect hotel chains to leave money on the table out of a desire for "loyalty"? Hotel chains primary desire is to make good money. Having "loyal" customers but not optimizing their return for their product isn't the point of a loyalty program.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or influencing my purchasing behavior. I can't think of a single case of me buying an airline ticket or hotel room based on a Freddie (or similar) award.

Besides, there seem to be enough traveler awards nowadays that there's one for everyone :)

Wandering Aramean and Kalboz like this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no expectations just voicing my frustration ... here we have a poor 'ol customer/guest who plans his goals based on available redemption list throughout the year piling one point above another only to be foiled in "mid-game" by such devaluations, albeit market-driven.

They can optimize all they want but you seem to forget that they are the ones who invented their loyalty program with all its empty connotations!

Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saving up miles/points for a big redemption in the distant future (> 12 months) may not be the way to play this game anymore. If it ever was the way...

Earn and burn.

uggboy, Wandering Aramean and Kalboz like this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not talking necessarily about my situation. As a Platinum, our family has enjoyed the best suites in Asia and all our Marriott points are from head-on-pillow earnings, plus the few points we got from the post on twitter or FB promo last year. We don't have any of their credit cards including the RC CC.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    HaveMilesWillTravel and uggboy like this.
  15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You surely could have picked a far better example (or could you?) in the attempt to make your point than SPG.:rolleyes: errr... 12% of their hotels went up in cat and 11% went down in theIr recent adjustments. Is it not quite odd that a high percentage of SPGs cat reductions were in Europe...darn that sinking euro.:)

Frankly I don't think you have any evidence other than the usual anecdotal to say SPG or anyone else for that matter has increased rates by 10%, 20% or 100%.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about...

or http://www.statista.com/statistics/195704/average-hotel-room-rate-in-the-us-since-2005/

You're right...I'm just guessing. :rolleyes:

And that was just the first page of results from google; I'm sure there is plenty more evidence to be found.

Kalboz likes this.
  17. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least we are given a couple of weeks to book at the current category levels. If you feel you're going to want to book something at the current category for later this year but don't quite have the points yet, book NOW. Marriott lets you book awards without having the required number of points as long as you get more and have enough prior to your stay.

Kalboz and Counsellor like this.
  18. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whenever I hear it termed a "loyalty" program, I'm reminded of the military leadership maxim, "Loyalty down brings loyalty up."

B1BomberVB and Kalboz like this.
  19. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Consumer marketing is not the military. People won't die in combat if my points get devalued. The term "loyalty" is being used in marketing in order to evoke emotional response, the same way precious metals and gems are meant to make us feel like precious individual snowflakes, but I don't think it's remotely the same.

20. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    The category increases in the areas outside of Seattle is surprising. Just in time for the summer season then when winter comes.... easily can find a <$90 rate.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Makes it easier to justify Hotwiring/Pricelining for $20 or so off. ;)