Marriott Rewards MegaBonus 2012

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Kalboz, Aug 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is what I got ... any good?
    I see that there are more lucrative offers out there as Mommy Points indicated ... the maximum I can get here is 40K points while others may get up to 3 nights at any category 1 – 4 hotels.

Any chance I can change my options by calling Marriott Rewards?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past, if you're Platinum with Marriott Rewards, you can call the Platinum line and ask to switch promotions. You must call while the promotion is active. Usually there's no problem, but there are reports of people being denied by the CSR. If that happens, say "thank you," hang up, and call back later.

They don't switch your goal on the site (Promotion Central), but do make a note of it and after the promotion ends they go back and give you what you earned based on what you were switched to. (If you're switching out of "free nights" into "points" -- for instance because you don't stay at 1 - 4 properties that often -- do NOT use the free nights you get in your account, or they won't be able to correct the award.)

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I am Platinum ... and the Renaissance Bangkok is a great Category 4 property with awesome benefits for plats. The way I break it down is this:

- With the promo given to me, I will earn a max of 40K bonus points with $2,500 spend (20 x $125). 40K points will get you 2 nights at Category 5 or 4 nights (plus one - Redeem 4 get 5th free) at Category 3 property. But the cost is very high.

- While the earn 1 free night after every second paid stay, up to 3 free nights will cost $750 (6 x $125). Even at PointSavers Rewards this is worth 45K points.

I will be calling MR Monday morning to request a promo switch!

VeryGoodPoints, Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Kalboz, please report back how the switch goes!:)

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually you can switch only during the period the promotion is running (which for the fall MegaBonus doesn't start until 15 September), so you may be refused. If so, try back in late September and hope the CSR didn't put a note in your file.

(Personally, I'd be inclined to wait until after 15 September to make the initial call, but YMMV.)

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  6. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was declined by Drew (MC at FT) for switching from 3 cat 1-4 certs to 2 cat 1-5 certs. I wrote to her again and added that the Nachos are Gold. Let's see if it helps.

Marie used to switch them for me everytime. I miss her :(

How do you know that you can only switch when the promo period has started?

Thanks in advance.

7. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    fwiw, I'm a Gold and was targeted for the points offer.

I called today and asked to switch to the free night after 2 stay offer.

The rep noted my account & switched me to "option 1" the free Cat 1-4 offer (maximum 3 certs).

I asked about the Cat5 offer but was told no & didn't push it given that the T&Cs now specifically state "The member receiving this offer has been specifically targeted and the offer is not transferable."

as always YMMV

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    That used to be the rule (or so I was told a couple MegaBonuses ago). They may have changed it (or maybe the CSR that told me was mistaken), or it may still be and bk3day just got lucky. As noted, YMMV.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got a reply from MC and she said she couldn't switch promo :(

I really like the Cat 5 certs but I got the 3 cat 1-4 certs promo.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if the Marriott MegaBonus is the same as the Marriott Summer Bonus promotion?

Anyway, my deal says "20,000 bonus points, plus an additional 10,000 points after 20 paid nights, and another 10,000 points after 25 paid nights".

I just had 20,000 bonus points hit my account after the 15th night. I guess the T&C's are supposed to say the first 20K is after 15 nights but that's not what it says. I guess I can expect another 10K after 5 more nights...

-RM

11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The upcoming promo that we are talking about here is the fall megabonus one ... but it seems that you got a good deal for the summer promo. :) Go to your Marriott Rewards account and click on "My Promotions" and see what they are offering you for the fall.

uggboy likes this.
  12. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I hadn't noticed.

Here's what I got for the MegaBonus: "Earn 35,000 points after 20 paid nights + 15,000 points after 25 paid nights—up to 50,000 bonus points"

-RM

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a bad deal ... but according to the Boarding Area blogs there are five different targeted offers listed to date:

1. Earn 3 Free Nights (Category 1-4 hotels): 1 free night certificate earned after every two stays. Free night certificate valid for category 1 to category 4 hotels and expire one year from issuance. Maximum 3 free night certificates during promotion.

2. Earn 2 Free Nights (Category 1-5 hotels): 1 free night certificate earned after every two stays. Free night certificate valid for category 1 to category 5 hotels and expire one year from issuance. Maximum 2 free night certificates during promotion.

3. Earn 40,000 bonus points: 25,000 bonus points after 15 paid nights +15,000 bonus points after 20 paid nights.

4. Earn 50,000 bonus points: 35,000 bonus points after 20 paid nights +15,000 bonus points after 25 paid nights.

5. Earn 50,000 bonus points: Earn 5,000 points every second stay.

Some suggested that infrequent guests of Marriott Rewards will receive Offer #1 for a free night category 1-4 certificate, up to 3 free nights after 6 stays.

If you are unhappy with your offer, call your MR Platinum concierge and request a switch.

uggboy likes this.
  14. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    50,000 points gets me way more than two free nights and at a higher category than 5. I think I'm quite happy with my bonus!

I'm a Plat who stays at hotels frequently and my typical stay is anywhere from 2-4 nights in a row so option #5 doesn't help me.

-RM

15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott Rewards agreed on the switch and I accepted the following:
    My account, however, still showing the points!
    10/13/2012 Bonus
    2012 MEGBONUS PROMOTION

• 15,000 pts

10/13/2012 Bonus
    2012 MEGBONUS PROMOTION

• 25,000 pts

uggboy likes this.
  16. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. 2 is targeted as far as I know, and I'm not able to switch to after trying various channels. I have No. 1 which is ok for me, nothing special.

17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Number 1 is good ... I got mine switched from # 3 to # 1 ... or so I thought!

uggboy likes this.
  18. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like no. 2 because I think the hotel I'd like to use the cert on would be cat 5 next year.

19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My 40K earned bonus points for this promo were switched to 3 electronic vouchers for a free night each at a category 1-4 property. Thank you Marriott Rewards! :)

Renaissance Bangkok, here we come! :D