Marriott Rewards Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by clscholes, Aug 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it common for the MRC to want more info for a decision? Should I call something specific or wait it out?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question is a bit unclear. Have you been asked to send in more info? Are you thinking about volunteering more info because the decision is taking too long?

3. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I applied, the response was that they would need to review the app and would mail a reply. Didn't know if there was anything proactive I could do or just wait it out.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got it. I too applied for this card last week and had thought that approval would be instantaneous based on my track record with Chase and my credit score (~800), but I got the message that the application was going to be reviewed and that they'd send me a decision letter by snail mail within 7-10 days, meaning some time this week. I have little doubt that I'll get it. There is more scrutiny because this is a top card and the sign up bonus of 70K Rewards points is quite high.

So, for this card, it's: don't call us, we'll call you...;)

5. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That was what I was hoping...just thought I would ask the experts...;)

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you ever get this card? Contrary to the message that I got after I applied online informing me that processing would take 7-10 days, it took almost three weeks before I heard anything about the application. Today I got an email from Chase informing me that my Marriott Rewards Premier visa card ending in #### had been approved and it was in the mail. Guessing that an account number had already been created for this new card in my Chase online account, I logged in to check out the size of the credit line: $10K. But that is not all I noticed. The credit line for my Chase Hyatt visa card on which I had a balance of $0.0 was decreased from $28K to $18K, meaning that they just split the credit line for my hotel CCs, keeping the total constant at $28K. That they did this is fine by me since I have another $20K for hotels in my HHonors Citi Reserve Visa and AMEX Surpass, and the now 4 hotel cards will be used exclusively for paying for stays, depending on whether I book to stay at Hilton (the majority by far), Marriott or Hyatt properties.

Next, I logged into my Marriott Rewards account to see if there had been any activity associated with the new CC, and sure enough, where there was previously nothing at all I found 15 elite-qualifying nights and a certificate for a free night at a cat 1-4 Marriott hotel as a result of having the new card. If I spend $1,000 on the card within 3 months of getting it, I will get 70K Marriott Rewards points as a part of this very generous sign up bonus package -- a no-brainer.:)

othermike27 likes this.
  7. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar experience when I applied for 2 AMEX cards about 3 months apart: split the credit line between the two. After a few months of vigorous spending on the new one, I did an online request for a limit increase and got instant approval for another $10K. Later, I moved some of the increase to the other card - also an online transaction with immediate approval. I would guess that Chase would allow similar actions, and I'll be doing exactly that later this year to balance my Chase limits to support anticipated spending patterns.

Question: what is your rationale for holding both HHonors cards, which come with annual fees of $95 and $75? I'm asking because I'm in the same situation. I upgraded my AMEX to Surpass earlier this year for the Gold perks and Priority Pass access which we already used in Europe to good advantage. This month, I did a round of hotel-related applications and decided to add in the Citi HHonors Reserve VISA card despite the obvious overlap. After I work off initial spend requirements, I plan to use the AMEX card for domestic Hilton spend (higher points accumulation rate), and the Citi for international Hiltons (0% FTF, EMV-enabled). When the AMEX Surpass comes up for renewal next year, I'll reconsider. Do you see any other factors to consider?

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your rationale for having both the HHonors Citi Reserve Visa and the AMEX Surpass is exactly the same as mine. I use the AMEX domestically and the Citi Reserve overseas, where the bulk of my stays happens, so that the foreign transaction fees, which the AMEX charges but the Citi Reserve does not, can add up, as my folios are usually relatively large. It is actually a bit weird that I should even care about the foreign transaction fee since the truth of the matter is that I do not even notice the annual fees on any the CCs that I have. If I did, then I would not be able to justify the AF on the AMEX Business Platinum, which was $450 the last time I noticed.

9. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was actually declined and when I called the reconsider line, they wanted more accounts before they would approve. I haven't used a credit card In years until the last few months, so they were leery even though my score is in the 700's...

NYCUA1K likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am really sorry to hear that you were declined, but I believe that this is probably a hard card to get because the benefits, for a hotel CC, are among the best, IME. My credit score is around 800 and I have had a life history of banking with Chase, and yet, it took three weeks before I got approved, while I have generally been approved instantly (like the Hyatt visa with a $23k CL) or within days for all the other Chase cards that I have. They may be limiting approval for this Marriott card by design because it is really a great card (70K Rewards points as a sign up bonus is rather hefty).

I hope they will reconsider your application!

clscholes likes this.
  11. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long should I wait before reapplying?

12. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the general rule is to wait at least 6 months.

clscholes likes this.