Marriott Rewards - brand new

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by healinginfluence, Aug 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. healinginfluence

healinginfluence Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am new to the forum. I'm planning to visit Zurich in November and there is a Marriott Renaissance near where I would like to stay. I have no Marriott Rewards and don't have the Chase Marriott credit card. Is there anything I can do to sweeten the deal. Free Internet would help. I hate paying for internet access.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Of course, sign up for Marriott Rewards.

When is the stay?

You can get Marriott elite status simply for asking for a status challenge. I find that calling makes it more likely to get Platinum status while emailing often gets Gold, they do not ask for proof of your current status though it helps to be able to communicate that you are an elite member of a competing program and heavy traveler. The temporary status will last the remainder of the current month and then for three full months.

Marriott Rewards tends to be the least rewarding program of the major programs (or rather compared to Hyatt, Starwood, Hilton in my opinion) in many ways and especially at the elite level. But Gold status and above will get you internet, at non-resort properties you are entitled to lounge access or breakfast during the week, and there's the occasional (often modest) upgrade.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. healinginfluence

healinginfluence Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for that very helpful response. It helps me a lot to know I should concentrate my stays in Hyatt and Starwood when I can. And thanks for the suggestion to call and ask for a match.

Btw I just got the Chase Sapphire and yesterday applied for the Chase Hyatt card but I'm not sure they will give me that given that I already have the Sapphire Card and two other Chase cards: United and Amazon. I don't use the Amazon so I can let them close that.

Thanks for all the help here. I can see I have a lot to learn. I guess this can become a hobby.

The trip is late November. I bought a discounted B class ticket from IAD to Paris on AF. I have family in Paris and Zurich I need to visit. I decided not to use points for the flight because of the discounted price ($2100).

All suggestions are appreciated!

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    welcome to milepoint. The platinum challenge is probably the best advice for now, but you can also get the Marriott credit card to get extra points on your stay. If you call for the Marriott challenge, be sure to call the hotel directly once you have the temporary status and request a suite upgrade. There is no guarantee that you will get one, but talking to the hotel manager or sales director has usually been successful for me.