Marriott Rewards 2014 Category Changes Announced

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by hhoope01, Mar 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like yesterday Marriott announced their 2014 hotel category updates for their hotels. The details can be found at: Marriott Rewards 2014 Category Changes.

While they didn't add a new category, there are about 4 times as many hotels moving up compared to moving down. So if you were on the fence about making an award reservation, you might want to do it sooner rather than later.

gregm, MX, SC Flier and 3 others like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the notice. It's a substantial change with almost 80% going up a category and only 20% +/- going down.

gregm and uggboy like this.
  3. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a point of clarification, note that these changes go into effect in about 3 weeks. So we have that long to make an award reservation before the category changes go into effect.

If you are in doubt and your hotel of choice will be increasing its category level, I would suggest going ahead and make the award reservation (even if you don't yet have the points for it yet.) As long as the reservation is "made" before the category changes, Marriott will honor the current category levels.

gregm, uggboy and MSYgirl like this.
  4. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was debating whether to start a Marriott rewards account, but I think I will hold off because of these changes.

I prefer SPG and IHG (since I can generally take advantage of the Pointsbreak promotion).

5. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also like SPG as a program as well, but unfortunately, they don't have nearly as many hotels and the ones they do have tend to be a bit more "pricey" than the Marriott's close by. But I was a Plat with SPG for about 4 years and am currently a Gold, so I do still stay with them once in a while. Actually, I'd love to take advantage of the Hyatt program which I would say is probably better than SPG, but they have even fewer hotels making it very hard to consistently stay with them.

As for IHG, they used to be my main secondary rewards program, but they have gone through some pretty hefty devaluations of their own over the last couple of years. And other than the Pointsbreaks, which I agree are a great value if you can use them, IHG has priced itself out of the market for me. They provide very few "tangible" elite benefits so no real benefit there either.

gregm likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    My 2 Cat 5 free night certs are slowly losing their value! They expire in May, so I will start looking now. I originally planned to use them at home in Lauderdale but couldn't find anything suitable.

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly not as massive as the 2013 changes. Of course, these changes are not welcome news but I don't think it's too out of line with other programs' devaluations.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of my favorite Hotels (and where I used my 1-5 certs) in key locations in Europe and Asia are moving up. Bad news indeed.

Counsellor likes this.
  9. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Globalflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Category 1 - 4 and 1 - 5 certificates will become even more difficult to use now :(.

Counsellor likes this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. The Munich, Prague, and Budapest Marriotts are moving up to a cat 7. The Courtyard in central Munich, near the railway station and in the middle of the red light district, also becomes a 7. And it looks as though the Residence Inn near Munich's Östbahnhof is moving up to a Cat 6. About the only place you can use the certificate in Munich will be the Courtyard East, it appears.

11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    So award wallet sent me an email to say my reservation at the Marriott Doha changed, the award at 15k points now only costs 10k points! I see on the Marriott website the amount of points did change, but I've seen no change in my balance.

Will the extra 5k points be credited back or do I need to call in to get it changed?

(FYI: this is the second year in a row that a hotel devaluation has played in my favor, last year was Budapest & Radisson, I guess don't go to popular destinations.)

icurhere2 likes this.
  12. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will probably need to cancel your existing reservation and re-book it. It would be the same if it was the reverse. If you booked your room at a lower rate, and if suddenly the rates go up, you wouldn't want them to charge you the higher amount.

gregm and iolaire like this.