Marriott Platinum Packet for 2013

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Counsellor, Jan 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received my 2013 Platinum packet from Marriot in the mail recently. Observations:

1. I like the new card, much more stylish than last year's.

2. Seems to me the quality of the paper's much higher, too.

3. Includes the new Lifetime Elite levels and qualification. Now formally published for all to see.

4. Is this a change, or is it just me?

Chart of benefits on page 11 says, with respect to Internet access, "Free Internet at all brands except Courtyard (outside U.S. & Canada); premium tiered Internet at participating Courtyard (U.S. and Canada), Springhill Suites, Fairfield Inn and Suites, Residence Inn & TownePlace Suites."

Unless I'm misreading, it seems to say no free Internet at Courtyards located outside the U.S. and Canada, yet I did receive free Internet at Courtyards in Europe during 2012. Is this a change, a mistake, or was I just lucky enough to get an additional benefit at the European Courtyards?

I susect it's an error (and should read "Free Internet at all brands (for Courtyard, outside U.S. & Canada only);" or some such, see the T&C at page 12, paragraph 7. Anyone know for sure?

2. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting point, I don't know for sure. I'm part of the Courtyard boycott due to no gratis breakfast regardless of status.

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yet another reason not to patronize Courtyards. I just don't understand that brand. My stays there are often inferior to their other brands and there is no price or amenity benefit. I avoid them when possible. If my first impressions of the Marriott chain were based upon my experiences with Courtyards I'd never have achieved status.

MyTravels likes this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's impossible to understand the way it's written. I take it to mean free internet is not guaranteed at Courtyards outside of the US. I further understand it to say that if premium internet is offered in the US then the premium tier is included free across the brands listed. But I'm really guessing. I don't understand why they can't use a few more words and write in English instead of shorthand.

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't like that part, either, but some overseas Courtyards do give complimentary breakfast to Platinums, so I'll patronize them if no FS in the area. And (sadly for me) sometimes a Courtyard that does not do so is the best all-around bargain. After all, you can usually get a decent breakfast nearby for 10 euro or less. (Gotta keep things in perspective.)

MyTravels likes this.