Marriott Plans HNL Airport Hotel

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by HiIslands, Mar 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Plans are underway for a 15-story, 247-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel near the Honolulu International Airport. Design and entitlements for the new hotel have been complete. It is to be located on Paiea Street, just makai (the ocean side) of the Airport Trade Center.

Source: Pacific Business News

Courtyard by Marriott Hotel at HNL www.jpg

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be nice to have another option, because sometimes one just needs an airport hotel @ HNL. It better not have resort fees! :eek:

Max M, uggboy, Sammich and 1 other person like this.
  3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, there are two hotels near HNL, the Honolulu Airport Hotel (used to be a Holiday Inn) and the Best Western Plaza Hotel. Neither of them are as close as the planned Marriott and both of them are quite old-- and show it. So, yes, it would be nice to have another option at HNL.

Max M, uggboy and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I once stayed at the Best Western. They gave me some large suite all decked out in late 70s decor, which was fine for my "I'm here to sleep" stay but something new, and hopefully with some later night dining would be good. The downside of the new hotel is that I bet some airlines use it as a crew hotel, which won't be a crew favorite due to its "resort-like" location. :rolleyes:

uggboy and HiIslands like this.
  5. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be both more popular and more expensive than predicted.

uggboy and HiIslands like this.
  6. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    @Bay Pisco Shark it will be a Courtyard, and more than likely have the crappy restaurants that they have put into the Courtyard's these days. Wish for a Residence Inn so at least you get the free hot breakfast and snack at night.

gregm likes this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I'll definitely agree with you regarding Courtyard's, eh-hem, "Bistro" being crap, I don't think the breakfast or any of the evening food is all that good. I would stay at RIs exclusively, but I like my 10 points/$1 I get at Courtyard and......the RIs have great kitchens and most have a fireplace. Nice.

8. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Staying here? Eat at the "Big Kahuna!" This is a great restaurant that use to be a hole in the wall a few blocks away. The pizza and sandwiches are to die for. And if it's your first visit they will give you a plate of Garlic Cheese Balls! ​

9. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airport hotels are great! If I need an overnight on a connection I REALLY like a visual distance property. If HNL was one of my work stops and needed a close hotel for a morning FLT I would be first inline for this location. However the properties near HNL at best $uck. Sorry guys (and gals) if I am "forced" to overnight in HNL I want a great property "better I got stuck stories". As I only stop here three - four times a year I would rather spend a couple of USD more and stay in a resort property. You start out in a better place and with status (more than one group) upgrades are likely. Unfortunately another chain has a better offering (I will not mention another brand).

twenty year MarriotRewards member current Gold (by choice)