Marriott Manager Arrested for Points Fraud

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just read this hilarious article at the following link:

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/p...hotel-point-fraud-case-/174492/1?csp=obinsite

Very entertaining article. The funniest thing to me is that they found that the best use of their points was to purchase stuff from SkyMall so that it could be sold elsewhere. Classic. The total value was $100K+ of merchandise and assuming a redemption value of $0.67/pt, it would have taken around 15 million points to get all that stuff.

Maybe she saw the poor redemption value for airline miles for flights so she switched over to Sheraton since Starpoints have a much better redemption value.

uggboy, Falcon View, Gargoyle and 3 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Classic.

uggboy likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if anyone ever checked references.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had she pulled this off while working at a Crown Plaza, she probably would never had been caught. Racking up 15 million Priority Club points over a year or two would not have raised any red flags with the IHG folks....

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me just say that I worked with someone who was fired as he was arrested by the police for "To Catch A Predator" like activity. I thought it was over for him but 5 yrs later, his career has taken off to where he has been in leadership positions in multiple companies.

To say the least, bad apples are able to fly under the radar when they hop companies. This is mostly due to the fact that companies don't want to be sued by ex-employees for anything so bad apples can keep on hopping from one company to the next.

uggboy likes this.