Marriott Lifetime Status

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by vickers, Jun 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really like Marriott's Lifetime Status as it is the only program (that i know of) that does not require "x number of years" of a certain status to obtain Elite Lifetime Status. One could be Lifetime Plat without ever hitting Plat in a year.

Here is my question... Do all points earned count towards the lifetime points earned? Specifically the Marriott Shop My Way portal and points earned from promotions, like the currnet one, where you can earn up to 25,000 bonus points after your second paid stay? Thank you.

Achieving Marriott Rewards® Elite Lifetime Status
    There’s a special place reserved for you
    when you reach the highest earning levels as a Marriott Rewards member. It’s Elite Lifetime status, and once you get there, it’s yours forever to keep. The only time your status can change is when you achieve the next Elite level up.
    Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card.

Earn Lifetime membership with these milestones:
    STATUSQUALIFIED NIGHTS POINTS EARNED
    Lifetime Silver Elite
    250 nights 1.2 million points
    Lifetime Gold Elite500 nights 1.6 million points
    Lifetime Platinum Elite750 nights 2 million points

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Points from (magabonus) promos certainly count. I've never used their shopping portal, but MR credit card signup bonuses, etc. seem to also count.

uggboy and vickers like this.
  3. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience is that all points count.

Counsellor and vickers like this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems correct, even purchased points.

Vickers, you might be interested in knowing that up until a few years ago, in order to obtain lifetime status from Marriott, the program required you to have been in the program at least 12 years, and to have earned the level you're seeking at least once. There were a number of folks who had achieved the nights and points requirements, and were just growing whiskers waiting until they got to the 12-year mark so they could get their lifetime status.

In a major change, Marriott killed both of those requirements (time in program, and earning the level at least once), and also lowered the number of nights and points needed.

vickers likes this.
  6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Counsellor. I was not aware of that change. I recently got into this game. Very interesting they went from the program with the hardest lifetime elite status to achieve to the easiest.....

7. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The program actually went from the easiest to the hardest to the easiest. On the 20th anniversary of Marriott Rewards (circa 2004), all the inaugural members with active accounts and a paid stay in the prior year were granted lifetime Platinum status. All you had to do be Platinum was to have stuck around.

I earned the hat trick. I was conferred lifetime Platinum status a few years earlier by Mr. Marriott's son (then the VP of Marketing), qualified for the above grant in 2004, and then qualified by milestones by finally earning enough points a year or two later.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    vickers likes this.
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year you needed 1.5 million points for lifetime gold. This year it's 1.6. They've really been messing with the formula quit a bit lately.

vickers likes this.
  9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might want to check on that. I'm pretty sure the points for LT Gold haven't changed since they were lowered from 2 million to 1.6 million back in January 2010.

Here's a link to a post on FlyerTalk setting out the criteria before and after the Jan 2010 change. You'll notice that the only effect of that change was to lower the number of points needed for lifetime Silver, Gold, and Platinum; the other changes came later.

bigx0 likes this.
  10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, you're probably correct -- I can't find that original reference to 1500000 so I must have mis-read it at the time.

vickers likes this.