Marriott Ledra Athens - Experiences // infos // hints?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by uggboy, May 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're planning to visit Athens this summer 2011 for a 3 night stay and as a Marriott Rewards member would like to stay at the Marriott Ledra Hotel. So far so good, I hope that members of MP can help us here and describe their experiences with this property incl. rooms, service, price // value, food // drink, location, what is within walking distance of the hotel, transportation and of course why you had chosen the hotel. Thanks all for your kind help and insights!:)

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I chose this hotel a couple of years ago on a business trip to Athens. The primary consideration was the location- close to where I needed to go (not tourist things- office). The location apparently is quite good for tourism- although I would suspect it is a bit of a hike to some of the tourist attractions- I think there is a shuttle bus?

Rooms are typical Marriott- nothing bad to say- Marriott decor which was updated to brand standards for the Olympics a few years ago. Swimming pool on the roof but I never saw it. Rooms seemed a bit strange- in the sense there was a lot of space with no furniture, but perfectly comfortable beds and very clean.

Service was good- very quick check in/check out and response to the telephone.
    I don't remember a lounge- check to see if there is one and I missed it or it was closed when I was there.

If you have the points or the Euros, for a leisure stay, I would really recommend the LC (Starwood) directly on Syntagma Square- this is one of the better choices in Athens. The Hilton is also very nice and has a great buffet but a not convenient location.

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic insights, very detailed, thanks TRAVELSIG!

Sounds overall a good deal for our Athens stay, have already read that they offer a shuttle bus service to various tourist attractions too. Interesting infos about the rooms.

We would like to collect some points with Marriott on the way during our vacation, this includes beforehand a stay at one of the Marriott properties in Vienna too.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Vienna, the Marriott is very well located (if a bit dated in the lobby area).

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, we have seen the Marriott on a earlier visit from the outside, great central location and great facade, thanks for the hint about the lobby!:confused:

We have thought also about the Renaissance Imperial Riding School, sounds interesting and have seen their gorgeous Imperial Club rooms on the website! Any thoughts?;)

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going a bit off topic, I have never stayed at the REN in Vienna, however I am a frequent customer at both the Bristol and the LeMeridien in Vienna. My understanding is that the REN is supposed to be very nice as well- if you ask around- someone has surely stayed there as there was a DO in Vienna last year. My colleagues also really like (depending on which colleague you ask) the DO&CO and the IC in Vienna.

Back on topic- do post back on how the shuttle bus is/etc with Athens- this may just be workable if they have a good shuttle service and also how are the surrounding restaurants.

uggboy likes this.
  7. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last couple times I've stayed in Athens it's been by syntagma square. That is the heart of town and very walkable to everything. We've stayed at Hotel Electra with no reservations. Just show up, leave bags outside with somebody else and negotiate a rate. It's worked out, but it's a pain to deal with the Greeks. Frankly, I'd only recommend 2 days in Athens and spending that extra day on the islands or by the water someplace. It can even be close like Vougliameni. Either way, be sure to see the Acropolis museum.

uggboy likes this.