Marriott LAX (Jan 28 - Feb 1st)

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by bk3day, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've just completed a return stay and conclude that the property is convenient to LAX and often can be had for great LNF rates, but otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here.

Pros:
    • Elite Desk (only open in afternoon/early evening hours)
    • Breakfast meats served at breakfast in CL
    • Airport shuttle runs every 20 minutes (making 1 other stop at the LAX Ren)
    • Free apples offered at the Fitness Center
    Cons:
    • Long lines at front desk at all hours
    • Long lines at main restaurant (Latitude 33)
    • CL closed on weekends and no breakfast chits offered
    I was lucky to check in at the Elite Desk and received a pleasant greeting thanking me for my loyalty. My profile preferences were noted and without asking, was told they were fulfilled.

However, when I reached my room, it turned out my preferences (extra towels, etc) were not fulfilled as promised.

Since I was on my way down to the lobby, instead of calling Housekeeping, I planned to request the missing items but the Elite Desk was now closed and the regular front desk lines were several people deep. That was the situation each time I passed by and eventually I gave up trying.

On Sunday morning, despite the size of the Latitude 33 restaurant, the wait for a table was close to 25 minutes. My guess is they don't have adequate staff to cover the space. Both the Eggs Benedict and service were rather mediocre.

On Monday, I hit the CL for breakfast where I was pleasantly surprised to see bacon offered, Sadly, the Dessert selection the night before was pitiful, with only a few broken pastries thrown onto a plate. Needless to say I passed on that.

iirc, I was told I was upgraded and was given an average sized, non-descript King room in the middle of the 15th floor.

The highlight of my stay, was at checkout. When asked I mentioned the checkin/preferences mixup and the lengthy lines that stopped me from reporting the issue earlier. The clerk gave me a sincere apology and asked what they could do? As I was checking out there really wasn't anything to do, except hopefully be aware of the situation for the next guest. The clerk then agreed and proactively offered me 5,000 points as an apology.

travelingmore likes this.
  2. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stay there several times a year and I think your assessment is pretty spot on. I would add that I usually get upgraded to a suite 50% of the time (as a platinum) and have found the front desk staff good and efficient at check-in.

3. wembleygal
    Original Member

wembleygal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Marriott LAX about a week before BK3DAY's stay. I was quite impressed with the lounge breakfast selection. There was an impressive array of breakfast breads and pastries.

I was upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite on a LNF rate of $60 / night (as a Gold). While I dind't think the hotel was anything special (it was a little dark and gloomy), it was perfect as an airport over-nighter.

4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Front desk was a described. But the concierge was probably one of the worst (nastiest) I've run into - maybe she was a bad day?

5. FarPoint
    Original Member

FarPoint Silver Member

Status Points:
    I worked at this Marriott nearly 30 years ago when I was in high school & junior college. Even back then this property was showing its age. I'm curious what your thoughts are about the general condition of the hotel?

6. wembleygal
    Original Member

wembleygal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Needs a lick of paint and a general refurb ...