Marriott Increasing the Price of Award Nights

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Kalboz, Feb 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As reported by Gleff ... bad news indeed!!! :( See attached list of changes!

Marriott Increasing the Price of Award Nights
    [​IMG]
    The new chart effective May 16th, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Chart by Loyalty Traveler

Attached Files:

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :( Not good at all. :(

Flying Bat, marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a MASSIVE devaluation when almost no properties are moving down while there are so many moving up.

Then it continues to hurt even more when you add in the fact that their prominent promo provides free night certs for cat 1-4 hotels and the free anniversary night from the credit card is for 1-5 hotels. Might need to rethink those upcoming stays during the promo period since the free certs are worth a whole lot less to me.

Maybe they should change the Chase Marriott Visa promo to read, sign up and get 2 free nights at the Fairfield Inn Fargo.

Flying Bat, tommy777, foxberg and 5 others like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    View with images | Add to Address Book | February 2013 EXPLORE & PLAN MARRIOTT REWARDS Dear Victm: On May 16, 2013, Marriott Rewards® will be changing which hotels are in which categories as part of our regular review of all our hotels' categories. Additionally, there will be a new Category 9, requiring 45,000 points per night for a redemption stay. Book now for the best value • All redemption reservations booked on or before May 15 for stays after May 16 will be honored at the point price booked. If you have not ordered your certificate prior to May 15, call Guest Services to request the lower priced certificate before your stay • As always, you may book redemption reservations up to 50 weeks in advance of your stay, even before having the required points in your account. For example, on May 1, 2013, you may book your redemption stay as far out as April 16, 2014 • You can also use Cash + Points, our newest booking tool, to book your redemption stay For more information Learn about these changes in our FAQs. Terms Of Use :: Privacy Policy :: Guest Services :: Email Preferences To unsubscribe: Select "Promotions, News and Account" on our unsubscribe page. If you unsubscribe from Marriott promotional email, we will continue to send only transactional messages such as reservation confirmation emails. You can also unsubscribe by writing to: Marriott Rewards 310 Bearcat Drive Salt Lake City, UT 84115-2544 USA ©2013 Marriott International, Inc.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My one major loyalty program in the US where my account balance is zero (and has been zero for a long time).

6. CVFDCHIEF180

CVFDCHIEF180 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yet another program that is basically hurting the ones of us who spend tons and tons of money with them.....when is it going to stop?

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    With more than 85K Marriott points & three nights in category 1-4 nights in my account from the last MegaBonus, I agree that this is a major devaluation ... I have yet to apply for the Marriott Chase card for 70K points too, but is it worth it? :(
    The good news, according to Gleff, is that we get a bit of notice, and, thus, an opportunity, if we already have enough points in our account, to redeem now and as far in advance as nearly a year and under the current rates.

Flying Bat and marcwint55 like this.
  8. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think it's still a good idea because you will be able to add the sign up bonus to your existing points so that you can make a 4 nt redemption to get the 5th night free... and if you get them quick, you might be able to redeem them before they increase the cost.

9. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never used the MegaBonus certs. I will get my first one next month. The hotel I was planning on using it at, courtyard SJU in September, is going up from category 4 to 5. I wonder if I have to book by May or use the cert by May

marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  10. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As long as you make your reward reservation with the cert included prior to the point adjustment, you should be fine.

Dangjr213, marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  11. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree - I already struggle sometimes to use up that Cat 1-5 cert, and this is just going to make it harder. I think I see a cancellation in my future...

Boraxo, marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  12. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's still worth it for 70K. At minimum, it'll bump you up to 155K which is with striking distance of 160K - at which point you can redeem for 4 nights at a category 8 and get the 5th free.

marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand the European hotels at category nine, but Boston and New York. Get real guys were not talking the Ritz or Four Seasons here.

foxberg likes this.
  14. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have over 95K and three rewards nights left, two are 1-4 and the third is 1-5. I have to use at least one of C4 by the end of March to not to lose it to expiration and I could hardly find anything C4 worth traveling to already. Redeeming the other two in the future will become completely impossible. :(

Kalboz likes this.
  15. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I decided to burn some points booking a seasonal award at the Cosmopolitan in Vegas. Although it is hot during the summer and rates are low at many Vegas hotels, I am getting 25% off the existing 35k/nt redemption while the hotel is still a Cat 7 before moving to a Cat 8 in May.

If you're thinking of cashing in some points prior to the change, it might be worth looking at the seasonal awards... Labor Day weekend in Vegas or 4th of July in Phoenix or Palm Springs are pretty good redemptions if you can stand the heat. https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/usepoints/marriottRewardsSeasonalAwards.mi

MyTravels, Kalboz and foxberg like this.
  16. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked up these seasonal awards. I'm surprised they don't have one for Anchorage Marriott Downtown in January. :eek:

Kalboz likes this.
  17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Lol.. Over 100 hotels just got excluded from the Mega Bonus after being moved to category 5. So if you're not planning a stay at the Courtyard in Yuma, forget about that promo :p

Almost all RC went up (except for the ones who are already at the top category) even if prices have not gone up the last year.

I hope everyone lets Marriott know how they feel when they vote for the Freddies. This is the biggest devaluation I've seen. Even the hard core Marriott fans should be voicing their opinion about this.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope so. I called the number listed on the email that went out. They told me the stay had to be completed by then if using a certificate. Only point reservations will be honored if booked by May. Hope she was wrong...

19. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... Marriott will be getting a less pleasant email from me if that's the case. I was planning to use my cert in June at one of the hotels that is moving from 4-5.

Dangjr213 likes this.
  20. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When you book your award online, you can select the certificate that you want to apply to the reward reservation. When you go to check out, the amount owed shows up as $0 and that is of course based upon today's reward category. If you save this receipt, I think they would be hard pressed in stating that you made an illegal reward reservation and that you now owe them the rack rate or something other than what your receipt shows.

However, if the system does not allow you to make the reservation with the certificate because the expiration date occurs prior to the date of your reservation, that's a whole other story.

21. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info.

Kalboz and Flying Bat like this.
  22. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    A massive devaluation, a great shame that they choose to stick it to their loyalty customers.
    This will affect the way my company's staff accommodation policy in a negative way.

Shame on you Marriott.

Kalboz likes this.
  23. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply. My certificate doesn't expire till October, so based on what you're saying, I think I will be ok. I will definitely make sure to print the reservation showing $0 owed and bring it with me.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Marriott should let you use the 1 to 4 and 1 to 5 certs on higher categories by paying the difference in points (e.g. pay 10K points plus 1 to 4 cert for a cat 6).

25. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    No wonder MR is so happy giving out Cat 5 certs during Megabonus!

Kalboz and foxberg like this.