Marriott, IKEA team up to launch new hotel

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by GoodBoy, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Marriott, IKEA team up to launch new hotel
    • March 06, 2013 12:12AM
    US hotel chain Marriott says it is teaming up with Swedish furniture giant IKEA to launch a new budget hotel brand in Germany and Europe, called Moxy Hotels.
    Over the next 10 years, 150 low-cost hotels will be opened in 10 countries, Marriott chief Arne Sorenson told a news conference in Berlin.
    In addition to Germany, hotels would be opened in Austria, Britain, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden.
    The first Moxy Hotel would open in Milan at the start of next year, Sorenson said.
    The new brand was targeted at a young, price-conscious, well-travelled clientele.
    Separately, the US hotel group Starwood Hotels and Resorts said it planned to open 50 new hotels in Europe over the next five years, with particular emphasis on countries of the ex-Soviet Union and Turkey.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you check in, do they give you a little hex key so you can assemble your room?

techgirl, edekba and GoodBoy like this.
  3. i'd prefer that to the horsemeat they've served up recently in their Sweedish meatballs:eek:

4. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm so thrilled that they are now having more budget hotels in Europe - being based in Scandinavia it's very difficult for us to run for status, free nights etc. because there are so few hotels around us.

What I'd love to see is more RIs in Europe - I'm so fed up with the French Apparthotels.

5. BlackHill

BlackHill Active Member

Status Points:
    I like that one:)

6. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Ikea hotel in Smaland, Sweden (Ikea's HQ), and we actually needed one of those to lower the baby cot. The staff had no idea what to do about it and just gave us that little 'swedish key' (that's the Danish name of the little key).

noname2 likes this.