Marriott Hotels - Tip Housekeepers - Envelope Please program

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by pointshogger, Sep 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like Marriott is admitting they don't pay there housekeeping staff enough, and they want the customer to take care of it for them.

Envelopes seem to remind of low class motels. That's what Marriott wants there image to be?

I prefer the SPG way no housekeeping and I get bonus points.

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey Marriott, you would probably get a better response if you prohibited tipping throughout the company. Pay the employees better, even if you have to raise rates a buck more a day.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy to tip when I think I receive service above and beyond what is expected. When I go to a hotel, I actually expect to have my room cleaned as part of what I am already paying for. If I were inclined to tip for some reason, having an envelope suggesting that I do would be reason enough for me not to. I truly enjoy visiting many of the countries in Asia where employees are properly paid and tipping someone would be considered an insult.

5. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not really a fan of Marriott, so I think I will stay on the sidelines for now and watch.

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tip for Marriot Housekeepers ... do not work for Marriott!!

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree about the envelopes being low class. Very low class. I will tip housekeeping anyhow but shoving an envelope in my face usually is a very good way to make sure I will not tip.

8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you out out an envelope for your help, and then brag about how much you made to your stock holders,,

One assumes too much money is finding it's way to the top of the food chain.

Passing the plate sends mixed signals.

Hotel rooms are not very clean places, and often the dirt us just moved around..use the same towel, we like to save water...

It is a Green Workd..,that is how we make a few Green Milion Dollars..

Give the ladies $15.00 an hour just like the burger flippers..

SPG gives me 500 points not to use the maid.

9. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do tip maid service most of the time, but to suggest it's a normal practice is rather odd especially if more than half of the people polled don't even know about it...

Mapsmith, marcwint55 and satman40 like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What Marriott is saying is they will not pay their staff and employees and, should anyone complain, they will blame their guests.

Marriott International's Fiscal Year 13 net profit was a shabby $1.71 billion (US).

They had revenue of $13 billion (US) and their profit saw an increase of 7.1%

The company has announced a $200 million (US) expansion into China for next year.

After all expenses they only made 1.71 B USD

All info is public. NASDAQ ticker symbol: MAR

Mapsmith and marcwint55 like this.
  11. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm in the minority that thinks this is ok? I like the idea of norm shifting. As it was said in the article, half the people polled don't know that this is a norm. This is a norm I am in favor of (adding a little bit of tip), even as a frequent traveler, so I'm ok with this.

I live in a city where tipping is very much the norm, for both cabbies and waiters -- doesn't matter if they do a great job. I think I've almost never NOT tipped. I assume at least a 20% tip when I get in the cab or go out to dinner at home. We went to Barcelona and were blown away.

Obviously I get that, at some level, this looks like Marriott is just passing on the cost of doing business to the guest. I am aware that the cleaning staff is probably paid the minimum -- Marriott should address that, sure. But if you don't want to tip, you still don't have to.

12. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can afford to travel, you can afford to tip a few dollars a day to housekeeping IMO. an envelope helps those confused with the crazy US tipping rules to consider a tip. I leave a tip each day or at end of stay if SPG

people tip at Starbucks and so many other places with tip jars and yet I'm surprised why a few dollars tipping housekeeping who do a lot more is causing so many negative comments on the various boards.

I waitressed in college ($2.01 and hour + tips) and relied on tips (and paid taxes on tips) so maybe I'm more sympathetic to this issue? I can't imagine anyone who has worked in hospitality or for tips would be against this - is $5 a day really a hardship?

Mapsmith, bigx0, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

The issue isn't whether or not to tip. The issue is should an envelope be stuck in your face. I'm certain that when you were a waitress you did not give the customers an envelope instructing them to tip you. As a waitress you were also paid less than minimum most likely as that is for some ridiculous reason allowed in many places. I travel extensively and tip the housekeepers if the service is good. If they do the bare minimum, then I feel they have already been paid by the employer. Hardship is certainly not the issue for those who travel, it is a matter of principal.

Mapsmith and B1BomberVB like this.
  14. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a good point, at least for US hotels with a lot of foreign travelers. I don't know what there wording it nor if it is in multiple languages.

Probably a discussion about the pros and cons of tipping won't really lead anywhere -- it's just one of those never-ending debates. But I think the negative comments aren't about tipping per se, it's about the way Marriott is soliciting them. The parallels you bring up are interesting though - there IS a line to add a tip when you eat at a restaurant. There are tip jars in some places. Is an envelope in the room very different? Logically it isn't, but it really bothers me, and I DO tip, envelope or not. And personally I think it has not been good PR for Marriott either.

15. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a bill that has a big line which says "Tip: ____________" followed by "Total: ________" and often even a suggestion about how much 20% of your bill happens to be. And invariably the 20% suggestion is on top of the tax, which is not how tips are "supposed to be" calculated.

16. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    when I waitressed I earned the federal min wage for tipped employees then $2.01 an hour (it is now $2.83) my employer didn't underpay but followed wage guidelines in Pennsylvania. now I see restaurants print the suggested tip scale (15%, 20%, 25%) on the bill to remind folks to tip or help those who can't do tip math? similar concept without the heavy visual.

I've managed corporate travel internationally and we do reimburse for tips and yet I constantly am asked "is this a tipped job and what is the norm" and "is service included" I see the envelopes as educational.

if I want to get nit picky the envelopes are not environmental as more paper is wasted and trash created as well as adding additional expense for printing/design/shipping that could go to increase wages.

My hardship comment - I've seen comments in other forums from biz travelers on per diems or companies that don't reimburse tips so they never tip b/c it would cost them x per year and they don't want to be out of pocket as it is a hardship.

Mapsmith, B1BomberVB and sheikkila02 like this.
  17. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In our travels we are given an amount per each meal, we are not given any extra for maid tips.

We would not turn in for an upgrade, that would be like asking for a tip.

All of us are on a fixed expense account, and respect the company we work for, even if it is our own company we have a responsibility, to be responsible.

We do tip, but they do not stick it in our face, you might not like our reaction, after all we have a choice,

Any one can price them self out of business, even a large company.

WilliamQ, Mapsmith and B1BomberVB like this.
  18. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all the source of the article is Canadian as is likely primarily directed at an Canadian audience (who are lousy tippers anyway.) and obviously intended as a guide .. you know like the one you see on every single solitary cruise-ship.. correct?
    This is however is one of those repetitive topics one sees on these boards that has pretty much been beaten to death.

That said it never fails to amaze me how pretty cheap some here (and elsewhere ) seem to be.
    After you lot have flown First Class, fought with the airlines because you did get your favorite seat, checked into the hotel at the $300 room rate and slipped the front desk clerk $20 to get an upgrade to a better suite, had a $200 dinner and a couple $15 glasses of wine you begrudge the poor housekeeper/room cleaner a few dollars to supplement a minimum wage? :mad:

I don't buy the " my employer doesn't reimburse me" red herring or " I don't tip on a matter of principle " .. that IMHO just plain nonsense.
    What in the world has Marriott's profit go to do with this discussion? The inference that one is going to choose a hotel because an envelope is provided by them for housekeeper tips is silly.

Even if you are a real road warrior and there ain' t that many on this board (MP members are for the most part credit card churners:)) and spend 150 nights annually on the road if you leave $2 per night for god sakes that's only $300 a year. Is that going to be a hardship????:rolleyes:

blackjack-21, Mapsmith and B1BomberVB like this.
  19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

You sure have a broad stroke with your pen! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  20. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of US go the extra mile to get the FC seats, and we do not make our money turning credit cards.

The housekeeper knows the wage when they take the job, as for the service industry, many make $300 a night in tips, and I am talking about a college town bar.

Most Canadians I know are not cheap, and are pretty free with their money.

Doubt many if us spend $200 on a meal, very often.

Just my thoughts from the cheap seats.

21. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
  22. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does this work?

Mapsmith likes this.
  23. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You give housekeeping a pass and they give you extra points for your stay.

Personally I own a business no one gave me a tip, and I work far more than 40 hours, and made nothing many times at the end if the day,

I think I did far more labor than a maid, and never received a paid vacation in my life, in fact I could not even afford a day off.

I would love to see everyone guaranteed success, and a good wage.

Truth is if you do not commit, you can forget it.

Burger flipper will make $25.00 an hour, but many of us will not be alive to see it.

I did see 3 cent candy bars, and nickel cokes, when we pumped the gas up to the glass done above the gas pump, gas was 19 cents a gallon.

24. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tipping is voluntary, it doesn't matter how much you earn. It's up to you whether you want to tip or not. I don't think people should criticize if someone decided not to tip no matter what their reasons are.

Cleaning staff pick their job, they know the salary before taking the job. I'm paying for a clean room, every night during my stay, it should be included in the room rate - if I paid $300/night I expect a clean room, I shouldn't pay a penny more.

I don't believe in helping others by tipping, IMO there are a lot more people in this world who need help.

Marriott should award points for tips .

WilliamQ, Mapsmith and B1BomberVB like this.
  25. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree on the part that is an enivronmental waste to make dedicated envelopes. I leave my tip near the entrance or bathroom, so housekeeping can differentiate from bills on the table (which may be construed as not putting away one's belongings.

Personally, I hate the concept of dual tiered minimum wage. $2.83 is no where near a livable wage and I cannot understand how restaurants and bars get to do this.

What an insulting post!:mad: This Canadian is offended by your assertion that Canadians are lousy tipper. I tip well, and have not deviated from what I used to tip vs what I tip in NYC (the tipping capital of the world). Unfortunately, the US underpays staff in its key sectors, so that they have become reliant on supplementation by patrons, and now it appears with a full media campaign by a hotel chain to show for it. I was raised that a tip was a gratuity, given freely by the patron to recognize good service. I have also heard that it stands for To Insure Prompt Service.....of course, its TIP, not TIPS, but heck, why let logic get in the way of a catchy acronym.

here are a few other inaccuracies in your post
    1) the article was not written for a Canadian audience. Here is the NPR version and please note "The Envelope Please is being rolled out in hundreds of Marriott-managed hotels in the U.S. and Canada."
    2) If you are doing the "$20 trick", you are cheating the hotel and threatening the front desk person's job
    3) I suspect most MPers have not fought with an airline when they got their favourite seat, or even when they did not get their favourite seat, seems like a DYKWIA attitude if the seat has already been preassigned to another passenger, don't you think?
    4) I know quite a few posters on MP, and they do fly a lot and spend a lot of time in hotels (my stats are top status on 2 airlines and top status on 2 hotel chains). I probably know more travelers than MSers.

Lets hope that we can discuss this without purposely insulting swaths of people of a nationality or travel community.