Marriott Hotels That Upgrade

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by T5campbell, Aug 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am starting this thread for us to keep track of which Marriott Properties give upgrades when you check in.

When posting give us the following background information: Was the upgrade automatic or did you have to ask for the upgraded room, and what is your status with Marriott.

Starters: JW Marriott New Orleans Upgraded me to a suite.
    Denver Marriott Tech Center upgraded me to a suite as well.
    Dadeland Marriott did not and had suites available. I have stayed at this hotel 4 separate times this year without an upgrade.

Maybe this will help you travelers with the hotels you decide which hotel you book in the future

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Thomask, vickers and uggboy like this.
  2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea! I will most certainly contribute.

uggboy likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The following is just a thought because I am a Marriott Rewards Gold and I scored a suite upgrade at the Ritz-Carlton Georgetown (DC area), but only after asking. Therefore, not reporting hotels where one gets a suite upgrade only after asking may leave out many properties that simply wait for a top elite to ask...at least that has been the case at HHonors, where I have had 7/7 suite upgrades this year but only on the last stay was the suite upgrade automatic...

It is a great idea but I think it would be even more valuable if both automatic and requested suite upgrades, along with one's elite status, were posted.

So:
    Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, DC. Suite upgrade after asking. Status: Rewards Gold.

4. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K, sounds good to me. Just changed the post.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checked into the Marriott Waikiki Beach and got upgraded to a corner junior suite over looking the beach.

6. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the key is to ask. Unless they are heavily booked, there's a very good chance you'll get upgraded if you have status. But don't assume it will always happen automatically.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  7. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had better luck getting upgraded in the past when the hotel is heavily booked due to most visitors not wanting to pay for the upgraded rooms.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    In a several CYs in Northern Germeny, as Plat I got 1 category upgrade, upto the level below the suite. Once in Heidelberg Marriott, they claimed they upgraded me to an exec room but I booked an exec room (I was Gold at that time)!

In Hong Kong CYs, both only offered 1 level upgrade.

In the US
    Marriott CC DCA Airport, no upgrade, no exec floor
    Dulles Airport Marriott, no upgrade
    RI Pentagon City, no upgrade

Most upgrades I got are minimal

9. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    @ Nacho, did you request an upgrade for all the stays. I seem to have a hard time getting upgraded at CY's. I try to avoid CY's due to the fact they cost the same as RI and Fairfields and don't offer free breakfasts.

10. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Timely thread. I'm starting to get annoyed with Marriott. Yes, upgrades are a perk and not guaranteed. I understand that. But after being Plat for years I have found upgrades becoming fewer and farther between.

I checked into the Sydney Harbour Marriott two nights ago. When I stayed here last year (1 night) I got a junior suite without asking. This time I'm here for 6 nights and I asked about getting the same room. She had to make three calls to tell me I've been declined/denied. I did wind up in a room with a view of the Sydney Opera House. I don't think this counts as an upgrade.

I have already done 60+ nights in Marriott this year and have not gotten one upgrade at any property in the US or the rest of the world. What am I doing wrong as a Plat? I always ask nicely at check-in. (PS - not all nights are at JW's or full Marriotts)

-Rob

theBOAT likes this.
  11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I almost never get upgraded at least I don't get the worst rooms in the house either. Unless I'm stupid enough use mobile check-in, which I stopped using for this reason and the fact that it saves no time whatsoever.

TravelerRob likes this.
  12. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bigx0 I agree with you. The Mobile Check In has a lot of problems. I have used it once and it saves no one any time.

13. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rob, I have some times called the premier line and asked if they have any Junior Suites I can get. If they say yes I will tell the front desk that the Premier Line has x many junior suites or upgradeable rooms available.

14. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'll try that next time.

Just checked into the Melbourne Marriott (last night) and wasn't even offered an upgrade or any such thing. They simply gave me a 'deluxe' room, whatever that means.

15. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know what you mean and I'm not defending Marriott exactly, but a deluxe room IS an upgrade. Plats can book the cheapest room available but will just about always end up in a better room.

It's rather amazing how many Gold and Platinums are staying in a hotel at any given time. They can't ALL get suites. (Yes, I know, most Marriotts aren't great and many hold back.)

16. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree we can't all get suites. Sometimes when I arrive at hotels (usually resort-like places) they have a list of all elite members printed out and the Plats far outnumber any Golds or Silvers.

Anyway, was told this morning at the Melbourne Marriott (Australia) that they do not give free upgrades to junior suites for Plat members. There's still a "small" charge. I didn't ask how much since I'm here for over a week.

-Rob

17. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed in the RI Paradise Valley Scottsdale This week no upgrade. The Night Front Desk Clerk said she did not have the authority to upgrade. Left after one night due to the hotel being further away than what I needed. Also Stayed in the CY Scottsdale North it is 12 miles closer to where I need to be for work and they did not upgrade. Next week I am in Little Rock.

18. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just two days at the Dadeland Marriott in Miami. No upgrades when upgrades are available. 4 time this year it has happened at this hotel. Have to go back due to home office booking stays here.

19. wembleygal
    Original Member

wembleygal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always ask before I stay ... had a very nice upgrade in Monterey back in August ...

20. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed two nights at the Cornhusker Marriott in Lincoln, NE. Did not receive an upgrade, and did not receive a room on the Concierge Level. Lobby was nice, but the rooms are outdated.

21. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may not be the reason you didn't get upgraded, but in my experience it is difficult to get upgraded for a whole week, either because they have a booking for the room one day during the period, or because they don't want to block a premium room for "free" for so long in advance. It's usually easier to get upgraded on a one- or two-night stay for that reason.

If you really would like the upgrade, and don't mind a bit of inconvenience, when you are denied on a long stay, you could try saying something like, "If it's because the room is reserved later in the week, if you can upgrade me for tonight I'd be willing to move to another room when you need it." At least that gets your foot in the door, and they may not ask you to move later but rather schedule around you.

22. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Definitely could be. I've had some hotels tell me they can give me a "better" room for a couple of nights but then I would have to move. Or vice versa...where the "better" room isn't available for the first 2 nights but then available after and I can move if I would like. So some hotels definitely try to make an effort. And you could absolutely be right that longer stays are harder to get upgraded on because the hotel doesn't want to block the "better" room for that long.

It's a nice perk when I get it. It's not the end of the world if I don't get it. But I'm finding fewer and fewer upgrades happening.

-Rob

Counsellor likes this.
  23. SnowDogDad

SnowDogDad Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, I have had more luck with upgrades on shorter stays. As a Platinum, I get upgraded occasionally (one in 4 times) and sometimes I just nicely ask "Any chance of a room upgrade?" In recent months, I have gotten upgrades at:
    Marriott Residence Inn Old Town Alexandria
    Marriott Residence Inn Mission Valley San Diego
    Marriott Colorado Springs
    JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

I have grown rather fond of the Marriott Suites brand. The only one at which I stay regularly is the one in Herndon, VA. But, the rooms are nice and spacious and the breakfast is quite good.

24. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at the El Paso Marriott by the Airport. I received an upgrade. Nice staff, good concierge room, and the bar menu was above Marriott Avg.

25. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fairly new Courtyard Santa Ana Orange County 7 stays all upgraded.
    Renaissance Bangkok 30 nights all in upgraded rooms (suites)
    Marriott Bangkok Sukhumvit 57: 19 out of the 20 nights were upgraded to suites.