Marriott, Hilton clamp down on last-minute cancellations

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Nov 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott, Hilton clamp down on last-minute cancellations

I guess, other chains will follow suit.

WilliamQ likes this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    well that sucks....

Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand this and can support the decision.
    It could actually help with last minute bookings.
    What I struggle with are the ever increasing rates :(

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the rates, higher demand, weak supply. As always, the market decides. Overall the "power" has swung towards the hoteliers direction, at least for now.

mht_flyer and WilliamQ like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....especially for the frequent flyer / stayer on business. I can understand this sentiment. Plans can change very fast indeed which might influences the hotel reservation too. On the whole, that's another fee in the T&C's to be aware off.

mht_flyer likes this.
  6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well some of us will just have to do the call on the way or the walk up routine when faced with last second travel.

uggboy likes this.
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they might want to consider letting elites cancel later without penalty. Anyone who spends that many nights in a hotel is unlikely to be a habitual last-minute canceler. On the other other hand business plans often change on a moments notice and having some extra leeway could swing me/them toward one program or another.

8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about Award Reservations? Many times, I will book in advance, and because of Air Travel Irrops, cannot make the flight and thus cannot get to the Hotel I have reserved?

uggboy likes this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the new and evolving world of travel. Whereas I can understand the concern of travelers when faced with cancelled or delayed flights and luckily I haven't had too many of these in my time there are I suspect there are a number of factors affecting the properties decisions to put these rules in place.

1) I don't think Hilton/Marriott did this as money grab as the usual FT/blogger crowd seems to think,
    but they I must have looked at their bookings and seen a larger than acceptable last day (or last
    hour) cancellation rate for rooms they might have otherwise be able to sell.
    It no secret that there is segment of the frequent travelling public who have no qualms about
    booking multiple rooms (whether award or paid) in different hotels or even cities and show no
    consideration to others by cancelling not cancelling until the last minute/day.

2) I suspect that the matter of past cancellation bookings will be treated just as it is currently. I have
    had 100% success in getting hotels not charge my credit card for booked stays past the
    cancellation cut-off. The limited number times I have had this happen ( 6 times in 20 years???)
    I have called the property directly and pleaded my case successfully.
    Calling the respective chains' loyalty programs customer service department at that point will not work.

3) As far as reward stays go the cancellation periods are all over the map. I have had same day, next
    day, three days and a few which are not able to be cancelled at all. (without forfeiting all the
    points) Marriott has always been 1 day before and for all those who are now saying that they are
    pissed and now migrating to SPG that has been their policy at least for award from as long as I can
    remember, certainly the last 6 or so years. Hilton was the same day for less in demand properties
    and 1 to 3 days for higher end ones.

In summary it might be a minor or ever major inconvenience for some, but its no more than that charged by airlines ( cancellation and redeposit of miles) or in the most egregious case, Delta's policy of one losing all their booked miles for a last minute award cancellation.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    A difference between last minute hotel and airline cancellations is flight delays or cancellations can mean you have no chance of making a booked hotel stay and also no chance to cancel early to avoid penalties. Unless the delay/cancellation is within control of the airline (or you are in a jurisdiction with strong consumer protections) you may also be out the cost of a hotel stay in another city/country.

Thus not a symmetrical impact.

bigx0 likes this.
  11. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a perfect world. A world where it takes more than a phone and a pen! There would be a linkage between your FLTs and your hotel reservations, similar to what National does. Well I am not holding my breath. That said with a little forethought, planning, attentiveness to conditions, and luck it is possible to avoid or at least minimize penalties.

kiwi likes this.
  12. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

Sure - can wait until in front of the hotel before booking to avoid cancellation penalties. But that is not sensible either - the hotel may be sold out by then.

flyforawg likes this.
  13. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not recommended, that's where the luck and cellphone come in.

kiwi likes this.