Marriott Grosvenor Square

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by stuartfla, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only Central London Marriott property that I have never had a stay and all my associates just booked it for next week-based on price. Any reports, recommendations or reviews?? I beleive they are all MR Gold- any comments on the lounge? (I did try to get them to book Grosvenor House or Chancery Court where I stay nearly every month-they didn't bite)

KimK and TheIceTrojan like this.
  2. carpe diem
    Original Member

carpe diem Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the lounge - it's on a level below the lobby. Personally, I didn't care for it. When compared to Grosvenor House, it's the hands-down loser, in my opinion. No afternoon tea...which is a HUGE thumbs down from me. Individual food items were often lacking late in the serving times. Wish I could be more positive on this one but I just can't. Staff was nice.

Was there last July. Was given a remodeled room on the 3rd floor, I believe. There was no dresser (we were staying for a week) and the room was stark. I guess I'm used to the traditional feel of Grosvenor House. We changed rooms to a "traditional" room, which felt better....but was nothing special in my opinion. For the record, I am a platinum (soon to be "was a platinum"). I do like the location - nice park across the street...but it's a bit of a walk to the tube (which is no problem if you like to walk...which I do.)

My interesting experience there was with checking out with a credit card. They gave me a very good guaranteed rate in dollars (no fooling around with foreign transaction fees/wondering what the rate of the day would be)....and that was it. I was skeptical...but my cc bill came in exactly as charged.

KimK and TheIceTrojan like this.
  3. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not as bad as the Marriott Marble Arch ...that is the best that can be said for it.

KimK likes this.
  4. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    They do not treat MR members very well, not like one sees at Grosvenor House or chancery Court. Think sort of like a Thistle in the UK or Comfort Inn in the US

TheIceTrojan likes this.
  5. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL "Think Comfort Inn" -sadly not off the mark though

KimK likes this.
  6. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really that down scale? In service, recognition or facilities?

KimK likes this.
  7. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't say it's like a Thistle etc. The property has a good location; probably equi-distance from Marble Arch & Bond Street tube stops. The lobby obviously isn't the size of a Grosvenor House, nor is the property for that matter. I haven't stayed at GS in a while, but the service was always good.

8. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking Thistle for they seemed to be excuse heavy .. now it was back three months ago when I stayed there but it was my last stay!

Will be interested to hear on this thread how the OP and his associates fared at MGS this week?

9. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd echo Sharon's comments. It's probably been a year to 18 months since I last stayed there (post-renovation). I've stayed in the property any number of times. Service was always quite good for me, though the rooms were a bit on the small side, and I don't care for the below-grade lounge. Front desk was fine - lobby is smaller than the Grosvenor House. Housekeeping was good & made sure my profile requests were met.

It's no Ritz, and it's no Claridge's, but then again it doesn't carry the price of either. I have no hesitation to stay at the property next time I'm in that part of London.

I rate it better than the Heathrow Ren or Marriott.

(I stayed there pretty regularly when I visited a corporate office in Golden Square. When that office moved out on Cromwell Road, I stayed at the newer Marriott Kensington, which is more "modern".)

10. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Someone just posted a bad experience re: GS on FT, so maybe they are having some issues. I haven't stayed here in a while, as Grosvenor House is my favorite if budget or points allow. Cheers.

11. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just completed this stay with associates at Grosvenor Square and there were major evening affairs/events at the hotel that had all the rooms "rocking and shaking" until 1:30 AM - staff were very apologetic but one could not sleep even with ear plugs!

KimK likes this.
  12. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    WOW, till 1:30 AM? - Just wow!