Marriott Grosvenor Square London - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by From NYC, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a Marriott person, having given the program a one-year try after a comp to Gold, but I did stay in several hotels during the year. One of the best stays I had was at this hotel in Mayfair in London; was here 2 separate times. Don't confuse this with the Grosvenor House Hotel on Park Lane; 2 completely different places several blocks away from one another. This hotel is 2 blocks south of Oxford Street and close to the Bond St. tube stop.

I immediately felt welcomed as soon as I walked in the door. Check-in was quick and there was varying non-alcoholic refreshment drinks available from a large clear cask in the lobby. A very nice touch to come back to after a walkabout on warm/hot days. I was upgraded to a very nice room that was also very quiet. You can see how the room looks by going to the hotel website. While fine and perfunctory, the only point about the pieces is that they seemed somewhat poorly made with cheap and think veneer. There were multiple scratches and some bits missing on the desk and chest of drawers. Although I obviously noticed them, it's not really that big a deal to me, as the bed was comfortable, the room was quiet, and the bathroom was fine.

The club lounge here is down at the basement level. Despite having no windows, the room was nicely laid out and lit, and very comfortable with small dining tables and sofas with cocktail tables by them. It's also fairly large room, and I never found it too crowded to find a place to sit. I found the food offerings for breakfast and in the evening nicely varied. Not one of the more sumptuous spreads, but still a good variety of items.

The hotel also has one of Gordon Ramsey's many restaurants here - Maze. It's the only restaurant at the hotel I tried. Well worth checking out, but beware how dishes you order. It's tapas-type and the cost can easily get driven up by the number of things you order. I loved the dishes I tried, and would happily go back, whether staying at the hotel or not.

The location of this hotel is one of its great attractions. Short walks to Hyde Park, all kinds of shopping from high to low, public transportation, and with tons of restaurants and pubs nearby.

All in all, definitely one to consider seriously.