Marriott Gift Cards no longer coded as Visa

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by carpe diem, Apr 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. carpe diem
    Original Member

carpe diem Silver Member

Status Points:
    Spoke to a terrific manager in a Chicago Marriott today who told me they've revamped the whole gift card processing and I noted on my folio that it was no longer coded as "Visa" (or CCard-VS), but, rather, as "Giftcard". It is being administered??? by givex. She printed out a givex receipt which showed the redemption from the gift card and, after noticing my little sheet of paper attached to my gift card where I keep a running balance, offered to check to see if she could get previous redemption information. Seems this might make gift cards easier to track....but, alas, if there's a promotion that requires a Visa card...I fear we may not receive credit as in the past. Just something to be aware of in the future.

doc and SC Flier like this.
  2. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Companies are getting smarter about collecting and using data. Sure, it will be sold as better details for you, but more importantly to corp, it provides corp better details on your bevhaiors and the givex portfolio.

3. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    As you mentioned, it seems like the only time this would matter is if they run a VISA-related promo, but it seems like it has been years since they have done one of those... right?

4. The Fall 2010 Megabonus was a Visa promotion.

5. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely.. thanks! :)
    BTW, Carpe, did you seize the day? ;)
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist :d
    Hope everyone is having a super evening! :)

6. LoyaltyLobby
    Original Member

LoyaltyLobby Active Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how international properties can handle these transactions? They already had enough problems running the old gift cards as Visa.

7. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a similar 'issue' at the JW in Las Vegas a few weeks ago. It took them literally 10 minutes to process the GC in the back office :confused:. The receipt showed 'gift card', but the Visa Card from the check-in was still there with $0 and the stay credited as a Visa stay. Annoying, but as long as it still counts for the Megabonus I don't really care.

8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used Gift Cards and one Travel Card overseas since the change-over, and although there are some growing pains (front desk laboriously working through a "Dick and Jane" instruction) it worked every time.

It also seems that the 3% additional currency conversion fee charged when VISA processed the transactions may no longer be being applied under the new system.

9. carpe diem
    Original Member

carpe diem Silver Member

Status Points:
    Used my gift card at another Marriott (Burlington, MA) this past weekend and the front desk manager got out her instruction sheet - (said this was her first to process!) - grabbed the other associate at the front desk and they went through it together. Didn't take long and I don't think there were any problems. Will have to follow up and check the remaining value and that there are no problems with my points posting.
    And, "doc," - I try to enjoy them all!

10. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would be a welcome side effect! I hate the 3% surcharge.

11. I stayed at three properties in the past week. One hotel (Autograph Collection) was completely unable to process the gift cards even after contacting Marriott and GiveX; the other two took at least fifteen minutes at checkout going through a very cumbersome process of multiple phone calls and writing down codes. It appears that there has been no planning for this transition. Marriott needs to improve this situation.

12. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Globalflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at two properties since the change. Both took about 10 minutes each to process it. Hopefully Marriott will do a better job of training!

13. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The MegaBonus that runs from June 1 to August 31, 2011 just requires "paid nights" with no mention of how they're paid.