Marriott expands mobile check-ins, plans to add mobile checkouts

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by sobore, Sep 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Are the days of hotel front desk clerks numbered? Marriott Hotels has been testing an app that allows guests to check in via a mobile device and it's been so successful -- downloaded 2.3 million times -- that the service will be expanded to all 329 properties in the U.S. and Canada.

Here's how it works: Guests download the Mobile Marriott app (you have to be a member of their loyalty club), which allows them to check in after 4 p.m. the day before their arrival. (The app is available for iOS and Android.) They then receive a message when their room is ready and proceed to the mobile check-in desk to pick up keys.

So what's next? The company will test the mobile check-in at hotels in 15 countries in November. The same month, it plans to add a mobile checkout feature too. (Marriott started a Travel Brilliantly website to showcase ideas from experts and consumers alike.)

Marriott isn't the only company in the app game. Omni Hotels & Resorts claims to be the first to have offered mobile check-ins in 2008. And many hotels are testing (Marriott is) or offering apps that allow guests to order wake-up calls and extra towels.

Read More:,0,2743348.story
    uggboy likes this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

The article above suggests the fact the app has been downloaded 2.3 million times means that Marriott's mobile check-in program is extremely successful. Actually, the Marriott app has been available for some time and until very recently the app had nothing to do with mobile check-in. I'm guessing the bulk of those 2.3 million downloads were done before the feature debuted.

I'm not really sure yet of the big advantage of mobile check-in. It has restrictions (e.g. have to check-in after 4pm) and if it's really successful, will the queue to retrieve your key really be much quicker than the elite registration queue? Guess I'll find out.