Marriott disabled functions on TV remote control

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by slalom, Dec 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I going crazy or has Marriott recently disabled functions on its TV remote controls?

I always use the "sleep" function on TVs - morning so I don't forget to turn the TV off, and evening, so I can, well, sleep.

In the past two weeks I've stayed at 3 different properties (two in Boston and one in Chicago), and the function key on the remote hasn't worked!

MX and uggboy like this.
  2. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the Marriott in Raleigh, NC they disabled HDMI ports on their TV. The technician that I called to troubleshoot the problem (I was trying to connect my Mac to the TV via HDMI) "confidentially" told me that Marriott doing this so the people wouldn't stream over their WIFI through the computers to a TV. Well, I just watched that hockey game on my laptop.

bigx0, MX and slalom like this.
  3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is petty and stupid, and yet another reason to avoid Marriott.

4. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed with some CYs in Germany and it's always the case that they disable HDMI port. I have given up on that by not bringing the cable - watch on our 13" laptop instead.

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience the long-term stay hotels such as Residence Inns typically have the ports enabled and often even have "DVD players" (whatever those are). And some Marriotts have a whole panel of ports available with audio, video, USB, internet etc.

On the other hand, disabling TV functions is certainly nothing specific to Marriott properties.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  6. kanerf

kanerf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just went and bought a cheapo universal remote at Target. It cost me $8 and worked like a charm. Had an auto-learn mode, that you just turn on, point at the TV and wait till the TV turns off. When you turn it back on, the remote works all (or most) of the TV functions, including input. I did this at a full-service Marriott and it worked great. I carry a Roku with me all the time.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brilliant, that might be worth it for me just for the sake of being able to use the sleep timer.

The challenge? What's the cheapest and smallest remote anyone can find?

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very clever indeed, though on many sets the features are disabled in the TV, not in the remote.

9. iflyrtw

iflyrtw New Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I recently found the HDMI ports physically disabled on the TVs in a Hyatt I recently stayed at. Like they put a screw through them or something.

foxberg likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The same story was at the Marriott, albeit not visibly broken.

12. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting....stayed at 4 or 5 Marriotts in the last month, but last week at the Lexington in NYC, the "Function" button functioned!

13. FriarTuck1943

FriarTuck1943 Active Member

Status Points:
    I frequently stay at Best Western. Their wide screen TVs are on wide all the time so that the picture is stretched. I have complained about this many times but they just don't care. Some hotel TVs can be set to automatic picture so you see the show as it is intended to be shown.

14. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe that this is anything more than individual hotel errors. I have observed the same TV - remote setups in different hotels and different levels of functionalities. The attention to details when the systems are being setup / upgraded determine what functions will be there.