Marriott Announces New Lower Lifetime Requirements

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Mooper, Dec 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you like the new Marriott Lifetime Status requirements?

1. Yes - Great move, Marriott!

57.1%
  2. No - This will swell the ranks and dilute benefits!

7.1%
  3. Maybe - Match breakfast & upgrade benefits of your peers & I'm sold!

35.7%
  1. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Via Marriott Rewards Insiders, they are proposing new, easier-to-meet tiers to become published and effective in 2013. The 12-year-membership requirement has been removed, the nights required for each level have been lowered, and the points requirements remain unchanged:

Earn Elite lifetime Status

Achieve a status milestone over the course of your membership
    and you’ll enjoy Elite status for a lifetime. You’ll still be able to
    reach a higher status—but you’ll never go below your Lifetime level.
    You’ll have the Elite experience, always.

Lifetime Milestones

• Platinum Elite: 750 nights + 2 million points
    • Gold Elite: 500 nights + 1.6 million points
    • Silver Elite: 250 nights + 1.2 million points

For more details, visit MarriottRewards.com/Lifetime

2. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the 12 years requirement is a barrier - to achieve lifetime Gold you need 500 nights, that's a lot for leisure travellers from outside the US. OF course you could speed up the process by hosting tons of meetings but you might still run into the problem of getting 1.6 million points (it takes a lot if I only stay on LNF rate and pay no more than USD 100 per night).

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but this allows those who are very aggressive in earning points/nights via credit card spending and other promos (which are high-margin revenue = profits for Marriott) to earn status quickly.

GoodBoy and Kalboz like this.
  4. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is interesting to me is that I assumed, based on previous experience, I'd hit the nights requirement about the same time as the points requirement. This changes much, almost to the point that I'd consider buying points to help points keep pace with nights.

GoodBoy, Mooper and Kalboz like this.
  5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I will have to start using Marriott now. Lifetime gold is within reason, even starting at 0 nights and 0 points like I am.

GoodBoy and Mooper like this.
  6. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea how they calculate points if one collects miles instead of points?

GoodBoy likes this.
  7. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    They count points only. Miles earned aren't applied. Many are unhappy about this, but it makes sense from Marriott's perspective because the points are cheaper for them to honor and in their control. No one has to choose to earn miles... it is merely an option.

GoodBoy and BuckleandBoots like this.
  8. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! No arguments from my end, although if they publicized this a little bit more it might dissuade folks from choosing miles. Then again, at my current Marriott average, it would take me 50 years just to get the nights for Silver for life. :rolleyes:

GoodBoy likes this.
  9. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before these recent modifications, the Lifetime program, though unpublished, counted only points (not miles) as well. It has been around in this format for many years, so not much of a surprise. I understand why some are frustrated, but ultimately it is a pretty safe bet that loyalty programs want to incentivize accumulation of their own currency the most.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I think the Marriott lifetime status requirements made more sense before the recent changes. Lifetime should require some sort of longer term commitment as well as not permitting one to get higher lifetime status than was ever achieved with the regular (annual) program.

One can construct examples of anomalies where someone spends the same amount of money and more nights at, for example, RI versus an ordinary full service Marriott, and the RI person struggles to get lifetime Silver while the full service customer--who has spend no more money or nights--easily achieves lifetime Plat. While using points gives the MR lifetime program a revenue requirement, it isn't either consistent or fair. IMO it would have been better to propose a unified formula that combines nights and points rather than keeping the separate and independent nights and points requirements but keeping the points earning rules the same and greatly increasing the points to nights ratio (or average points earned per night) to levels that exceed the ratio when MR first introduced lifetime status with lifetime Plat requiring three million points (versus the later and still unchanged two million points requirement).

GoodBoy likes this.