Marques de Riscal Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by singtx, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. singtx
    Original Member

singtx Silver Member

I am starting this thread because of this unique SPG Hotel and my love for it.
    The pictures are spot on.
    Had a one night stay in wine country…From the employee opening my wife’s door, taking our luggage, drinks and snacks while our room was getting ready, to our luggage being set nicely in our ridiculously gorgeous view of a room, everything was excellent. Wine and truffles in room seems to be the standard. The extreme niceness and slowness of it all was a welcome change from the hectic scenes found in other hotels.

The wine tour was great…it was done in Spanish and English as we ended up tagging along with a Spanish group since there was a hiccup at the front desk.

The pool and sauna are outstanding…pool was heated and large. Work out room was adequate…no bottled water available.We took the bikes into town but they weren’t the greatest, wife’s chain kept slipping and my hands were greasy enough, so we returned early…

Drank and got the ½ cheese plate at the wine bar located off the lobby, great conversation with bartender who tended some famous people and told us some great stories about them…

The library on the top floor was great...if no one is up there, pick up the phone and request service and they will be up there to serve you. Huge deck overlooking the town. They have a full bar, coffee, and cigars are available.

I was disappointed in two areas.
    The first one was the closure of the gastronomy restaurant on the 13th. The hotel website, SPG website, and pre-arrival e-mail made no mention of this closure.
    Secondly, and along the same lines, I had been eager to get massages and wine treatments from the renowned spa for my wife. Once again, the closure of the spa was not indicated on the hotel website, SPG website, or pre-arrival e-mail. We were disappointed…

Staff apologized but what could be done at this point?
    We didn’t let it bother us and continued having fun and enjoyed a great stay.

Even so...we ventured far out of our way to this hotel, so coupling the spa and restaurant closure, you can imagine our collective disappointment. We left early in the morning to get to Madrid…

I would return in a heartbeat, but ensure from my end everything is open and up and running. The area, hotel, staff and other guests are great!

I will add photos once I find them on my external HD!