Marathon Races

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by kw335, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure many of you have participated in marathon races in the past. I feel inspired to participate in one, hopefully this upcoming fall. Any recommendations as to which one to sign up for? Advice and tips for this first-time participant would be greatly appreciated.

2. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago (5-6?) I ran the half marathon race that's part of the Bay State Marathon. Located in Lowell, MA, a bit North of Boston. Flat, fast course and first-timer friendly.

Takes place in October, so you have the summer/fall to train for it.

3. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    kw335, I tip my hat to you. Just deciding to run a marathon is a huge step. I ran my first marathon this past fall in Richmond, VA. It was an amazing place for a 1st marathon, mostly due to the crowd/community support. The Richmond Marathon has been named "America's Friendliest Marathon", and it lives up to that name. Plus, the number of water stations along the course (as opposed to many other marathon routes I have seen) was great. Check out the website at http://www.richmondmarathon.com/. My biggest piece of advice would be to find a good marathon training team. The one in Richmond is one of the biggest in the country (and best in my opinion and according to many sources such as Runner's World). For me, it made a huge difference in getting to the finish line injury free (and right at my time target. Although most coaches will tell you not to really have a time target for your first marathon, that the finish itself is the target). I can't imagine having done the marathon training on my own. Best of luck in choosing a marathon, doing the necessary training, and staying injury free all the way to the finish.

MissBurrill likes this.