Many hotels take 'bath' out of hotel bathrooms

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2011-05-19-where-is-the-hotel-bathroom-tub_n.htm

Want to take a long hot bath the next time you're on the road? Good luck finding a tub.
    Bathtubs are disappearing from many hotels across the USA, going the way of a mint on the pillow, as chains use the freed-up space to install ever more luxurious showers.
    Holiday Inn has gone from roughly 95% of its newly built hotels having tubs a decade ago to only 55% of new structures featuring them now. Marriott plans for 75% of the chain's rooms to have showers only. And Hotel Indigo, a 6-year-old upscale chain, never had tubs, except perhaps in suites.
    The reason for the phaseout: Corporate trekkers don't have time for a long soak, and many travelers simply prefer showers, hotel officials say.

uggboy likes this.
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Future hotel reservations agent: "soaking or non-soaking?"

lin821, canucklehead, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, with demographics in play, catering to older populations with decreasing mobility, getting rid of tubs may come with lower incidence of bathroom injuries and the liability that comes with it.

And it could be a space saver to remove tubs that allows for more rooms to be sold even when the built-up area remains the same in total area.

I rarely use tubs at hotels for anything other than a shower, but it is sometimes nice to have them.

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A luxury shower is indeed a great thing, but I would prefer that rooms offer a walk-in shower and a bathtub! Love at times to have a long soaking bath while on travel!:)

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree- as long as the tub is both deep and clean it is great. The best I have witnessed in a chain hotel is the Four Seasons Seattle. The best overall was a villa rental at Karma Koh Samui that was a very luxurious gorgeous tub.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We love to choose between walk-in shower and bathtub, it is part of a great travel experience, just remember too a few great bathtub experiences incl. the whirlpool tub at the Bentley // A Waldorf Astoria Hotel // in London, the superb deep soaking tub at the Shelbourne, A Renaissance Hotel in Dublin, the kidney shaped bathtub at the Napasai, Orient Express in Koh Samui, the views and tub at the Park Hyatt Seoul.....beautiful memories......could write more! Simply love a proper bathtub, for us, one of lives rare luxuries!:) One of the best ever showers was at the Grand Hyatt in Sao Paulo and the rock shower at the Park Hyatt Seoul! Simply gorgeous too!:)

sobore likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree completely about the Grand Hyatt SP. I really like this hotel- I also noticed the super water pressure-great staff, good Japanese restaurant, quality meeting space.
    One very memobrable bathroom are the corner suites at the Ritz Carlton Millennia Singapore- you can lie in the tub and look out over the entire city skyline. It is worth doing once.

santafefran, uggboy and sobore like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I think back over some of the best hotel rooms and suites that I've ever had, a deep luxurious bathtub in a large and stunning bathroom must be part of the package. Although it's possible to have a large pleasant shower, I want the option of a relaxing bath when I travel. I consider shower-only bathrooms to be a feature of budget properties.

9. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoy taking a bath at the end of the day to relax and sometimes read for an hour or more in the tub so hotels eliminating tubs is not good news. One of my favorite tubs is in a small boutique hotel The Grande Colonial in LaJolla, CA overlooking the ocean. There was something about that tub that made my soak feel luxurious as if I were visiting a spa.

In fact, when we remodeled our master bath, I designed it after that bathroom and tub...the only thing I couldn't replicate was the view.

jmrich1432, uggboy and sobore like this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    super water pressure = Happy Guest:)
    I hate when the water tinkles out of the shower head.

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Two big hates are: low water pressure and difficult to control temperature (i.e. turn 1 micrometer to the left and it is burning hot, 2 micrometers to the right and it is ice cold).

ctporter and dgreen12 like this.
  12. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an avowed bath lover, I do not find this a positive development. However, if the choice is a shallow and short bath/tub combo, like you often see in the likes of a Holiday Inn, then the shower-only option might be the right choice.

sobore likes this.
  13. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love hotels that offer both and in lieu of that, give me a great shower. But.....

In the beginning of a 2 week trip to Israel and my back went out BIG TIME today. Tried stretching to no avail. Finally I went into a warm bath and it is like magic - don't know how long it will work but I feel human again. So as I age, I may have to reassess!

14. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know what U mean, and after either a long car drive or long flight I like hitting a Hotels hot tub (which too seems to be disappearing) and all too often isnt hot or the jets arent powerful enough. So instead sitting in a tub is 2nd best. a shower is better then nothing but not by much

15. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Showers definitely for me, even better when there is a hand held with massager. I almost never take baths, if I really want to relax the tubs are typically too short, especially the hydromassage tubs which I prefer over spas or hot tubs.

16. santafefran
    Original Member

santafefran Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boo hiss on removing bathtubs!
    Most memorable tubs: the original Pera Palas in Istanbul --a giant cast-iron tub that even the tallest traveler could luxuriate in and the Japanese soaking tub in one of the traditional Japanese rooms in the Kyoto Hotel Miyako.

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Done it once!

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bingo. These two quotes go very well together. Stall shower only lavs can be 8+ square feet smaller (per an architect friend...ymmv) if designed well. When you consider that the vast majority of people likely don't actually take a bath, why waste the space on a new build...unless you are going high end, in which case you should have separate shower and tub anyway!

A similar change in hotel design came about with flat screen tvs. Rooms can now be one to two feet narrower now not needing those big tv cabinets. Requires some reconfiguration of other parts on the room, but can easily save 20+ sq feet per room!

MSPeconomist likes this.
  19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. Many hotels have regulator discs in the showers to keep flow low.

I stayed at RC-pb in connecting rooms...one had an old speakman shower head which flowed wonderfully. The other room had a more modern head....and the water came out with a fraction of the volume.

Against my wishes for a robust shower, I appreciate the societal concerns to conserve water...as well as the high cost of water in many areas.

But I really do like a nice shower....we have a 12" shower head in our master bath...fed with a special 1-1/4" pipe that we had installed. Truly decadent for shower lovers!!

MSPeconomist likes this.
  20. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    And when the shower consumes less water than a bath+shower rinse, less water consumption (due to substitution of showers for baths) results in a lower water and sewage bill for the property. So out go the baths.

Are shower stalls faster/easier to clean than bathtubs? The answer to that could speak to per room labor costs attributable to housekeeping staff cleaning the rooms.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  21. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Agree. Best water pressure ever for me was the Sheraton/Brussels. No need to ever call fire department, fire hose was in the shower.

As for tubs -- lovely bride loves them when traveling with me and I recall her fave bathtub being at the Al-Maha outside Dubai.

22. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Yellow Pages ... Plumber ... 1-1/4" pipe ... Emergency? ... Darn right it is!
    Thanks for the idea.