Many AA & US mainline flights shifted to Eagle/Mesa/PSA/AirWisconsin/Piedmont Starting 3/29/15

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Max M, Jan 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just noticed that TUL-DFW/DFW-TUL is downgrading 50% of its daily flights from mainline AA to American Eagle/Mesa Airlines-- shifting altered mainline flights to a mix of CRJ-900's and CRJ-700's.

The change is effective March 29th.

Also looked at CLT-ORF/ORF-CLT on March 30th, and mainline US on the route is entirely gone, replaced by regional jets.

Not a coincidence this change is happening less than a month after the unlimited domestic upgrades for elites on flights 500 miles or less.

Look at flight schedules to see if a downgrade is coming soon to an airport near you!

Welcome to the "new" American. :rolleyes:

Newscience likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not saying I like CRJs, but it's been a while since I've been on an AA or US one that didn't have an F cabin. Compare that to UA and I've been on a not insignificant number that have no F. Could just be the routes I travel. And, at least none of the awful UA slimline seats.

I'm well aware of my AA bias but not sure it's as unfounded as some may lead you to believe given the current state of affairs.

flyforawg and Newscience like this.
  3. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as AA/US keeps Air Wisconsin apart of the new American, there are/will be CR2's that fly on the east coast for US Airways Express. [until the aircraft are retired]

Heck, Piedmont flies Dash-8 turboprops on routes out of PHL d.b.a. US Airways Express.

[the CR2 & the Dash-8 both lack an F cabin]

A shift to CR7/CR9 on such routes means a ~43% reduction on overall F seats on the impacted flights. [from a MD80/738 to a CR7/CR9]

I'm not so much unhappy about reduced F seats for a ~44 min flight, but rather the total seat capacity on routes being reduced that have typically full mainline flights.

More importantly, an overall capacity reduction= fewer seats in fare buckets and higher fares. [as well as fewer award seats]

Pizzaman, flyforawg and Newscience like this.
  4. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am guessing you didn't search schedules that hard?

I pulled some data.. using last Friday of each month. (ORF-CLT)

I see on
    Jan 30th
    3 * 319
    3 * CR9
    2 * CRJ

Feb 27th *
    1 * 319
    5 * CR9
    2 * CRJ

March 27th
    6 * CR9
    2 * CRJ

April 24th
    3 * 319
    2 * CR9
    1 * CR7
    2 * CRJ

It sounds more like AA is catering to weak demand through Feb/March.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    eponymous_coward and flyforawg like this.
  5. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't this have something to do with Flight Deck crew contract negotiations? As I recall, there were some issues with the new aircraft or something last year (particularly centered around MIA?) and this (increased RJ ops) was AA's response: "If you don't like it, we'll let someone else do it."

I may be thinking of something else, but I believe this goes deeper than first upgrades and capacity control.

brodyf and Max M like this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough, the gutting of mainline on ORF-CLT appears to be temporary.

Granted I've only looked at 2 routes-- and put about 1 hour of combined research seeing if there were major changes. Being that I don't work for the airlines, nor am I travel agent, nor have access to travel agent databases, I thought that was a decent amount of work.

However, it appears the switch from mainline to regional carriers on TUL-DFW is not temporary.

My purpose for creating the thread wasn't to just focus on CLT and TUL; it was to see how many other routes are having changes regarding aircraft. I was hoping that others would contribute some meaningful data about other cities with possible changes, rather than just being snarky about my hypothesis.

What have you found, research wise, about the cities you fly into/out of frequently regarding shifting from Mainline vs Regional Carriers?

flyforawg likes this.
  7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:

Agree, AA regionals ex-YYZ are now all CRA700/900 and E175/190 with F cabins (one E145 flight left) and there seem to be enough front cabin seats to accommodate comp upgrades (I've never lost one). US flights are still CRJ200s but these are being upguaged to E175/190s. Hate UA which continues to fly only CRJ200s and E145s on most short routes into YYZ. Just one CRA700 (IAD) and Q400 (EWR) flight a day with two cabins (and fewer seats in F than AA's regional fleet).

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think I've only flown one UA RJ with an F cabin. I believe I had one or two flights on a UA turboprop with F, which were fine. Much prefer AA and US RJs.

brodyf likes this.
  9. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly mostly out of ORD so its random direct or connecting via DFW. My local is MSN which is purely 145's, they run 5 flights a day to ORD. I come from UA so frequency is desired regardless if down gauge of service. UA runs 11-12 fights between MSN-ORD daily

Also using TUL is a horrible example for gauge changes as I know it is a Heavy Maint base for AA and I think it specializes in MD80, a product slowly being axed as time goes on. I am sure wherever there main 738 maint base is will see a big switch, but the 738 fleet is new right now so it should be a slow down.

Only once in UX Rj? I have a serious love and hate for you! Either you're amazing at avoiding RJ's or you just get stuck with 145's

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Only once in a UX RJ WITH FIRST CLASS. I've had my fair share of 145s and CRJ 200s, though likely not as many as some.