manufactured spend for a noob

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by elsewyse, Jun 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:
    Would anyone mind terribly much running down the options for manufactured spend besides buying VR/Greendot cards? My local stores don't seem to want to sell to someone with a credit card, loading BB with GCs doesn't work at my walmart, and I've got less than a month and a half to finish my initial spend on the 75k Amex business gold offer ($4300 to go). If you'd prefer to do it over PM, that would be fine.

Thanks. :)

SuperKirby and TravelBear like this.
  2. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can $250 per month with google wallet fee free, $1,000 per month with Amazon Payments fee free. Some people set up multiple accounts with AP. Just remember not to do A-B-A with AP. better to do A-B and get a check or cash. I will also mention Costco but that crosses an ethical line for many. You will have to decide for yourself.

I think this is an important lesson here for newbies. Make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew.

SuperKirby, rockyrock and TravelBear like this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kiva or Zidisha micro-lending. You could "future spend" by buying gift cards as well and just keeping them. Both of these methods involve tying up money for some time but will get you the spend you need.

Which card? If it's a Chase business card I would consider future spend for gas cards.

edit: I just saw what card

SuperKirby and MX like this.
  4. bringer
    Original Member

bringer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Google wallet charges noe even if you are doing 250 a month. This started recently

SuperKirby and MX like this.
  5. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:

Thank you! When you say A-B-A, you mean paying off the cc from the same acct, right? How does using AP work considering that you're paying yourself? Send to a fake email?

This would not have been more than I could chew had my Rite Aid not stopped accepting credit cards last week. :\ I'll also be checking out CVS tonight to see if they'll allow it, altho I seem to recall they didn't the last time.

Thanks!

SuperKirby likes this.
  6. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:

Oh, that's interesting, I'd forgotten that you can withdraw your money from Kiva. Thanks for the tip.

Buying GCs is something I've tried before and I hate having so much money tied up in them. But I'll give it a shot if all else fails.

Speaking of GCs, what's the deal with buying GCs and then reselling online? Is that worthwhile?

Thanks!

SuperKirby likes this.
  7. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did $250 last week for no fee. Has it changed in last couple of days?

SuperKirby likes this.
  8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that Costco was dead, and had been for years, unless the deal changed.

What goes wrong with GCs and BB at walmart? I have only done it at a few walmarts, but the service desk should work for you. They actually even know what Bluebird was when I checked.

SuperKirby likes this.
  9. elsewyse

elsewyse Active Member

Status Points:

The transaction errors out and the money from the GC gets pulled and doesn't get returned for over a week. After the second time it happened, I said screw it and haven't tried since. Admittedly, I've only tried it at the one walmart; it may work elsewhere.

On the bright side, my CVS does let you buy VR with a card, so I'm back in business. Phew!

SuperKirby likes this.
  10. justinxjx

justinxjx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see any fees or spending limits associated with AP using Web Pay. So hypothetically, couldn't you make a >$1000 payment to a spouse for example who has a personal AP account using your CC, and then just have your spouse withdraw the funds into your joint bank account? Section P3.2.4 of the User Agreement states that you cannot make payments to yourself from a CC but I didn't see any fees or limits anywhere else in the User Agreement. Of course it would help to have a law degree to fully comprehend that agreement!

I have a professional photographer friend that I want to purchase >$1000 worth of photos from and was hoping to use my CC to pay her via AP. But I won't do it if she is going to be charged any fees on the receiving end.

SuperKirby likes this.
  11. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it is that important to get the 75K Amex initial spend hit quickly why don't you just buy $500 GC's at your local store and then just get MO at Wal-Mart? True it's not "free" but it will get you the 75K MR's quicker and only cost $50ish. Up to you how important it is to quickly hit the spend.

SuperKirby likes this.
  12. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try it again with the same account, you will notice you wont be able to. I think they only allow you to do it ONCE ..just to taste it ..then the next bite will cost ya! its a lot like that E-San Cart on 9th & Alder :D

SuperKirby and sharris503 like this.
  13. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the ways you can rack up spend it to buy things for your friends that do not want to use credit cards, but rather cash. I bought a ton of furniture for friends that were going to pay for it all with cash and they even got an extra years warranty, which gave them an incentive to do it.

SuperKirby, rockyrock and TravelBear like this.
  14. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:

Then I am in trouble.

SuperKirby likes this.
  15. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bluebird. Buy Chase Gift Cards online for free, up to like $2000? Anyway, currently fee free and doesn't show up as a money order. Load them to Bluebird (or Amex for Target if you must) and pay bills (including the credit card bill now coming due, though Amex for Target can't do that). If that doesn't work for you since your local Walmart or your BB is messed up somehow do the Vanilla Reload thing which you can load up online. Buy at CVS, at the pharmacy if they won't accept credit cards at the front. Chase Gift Cards can only be purchased with Chase credit cards though. The Amex Gold will bonus grocery stores and OfficeMax (maybe not gift cards?) so hit those preferentially.

Use Amazon payments. You need two accounts. One that sends and puts the spend on a credit card. The other that receives and deposits into a bank account. I do not know if you can have one person own both accounts. As others have said, don't send money both ways. Always send it as a payment for goods or services. Up to $1,000 per calendar month for free.

If you have Bluebird you can't have Serve. Looks like using the AccountNow deal is played and you should avoid.

Or just push the spending into the future by buying VISA or AMEX gift cards online. Read Frequent Milers tips on doing this using shopping portals etc to get the tricks.

Gacspeech and SuperKirby like this.
  16. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the Chase tip. Didn't realize the fees were waived, doing this now :D

(im guessing you will use this to fund BB as a debit card with a $2 fee correct?)

SuperKirby likes this.
  17. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use to do this a lot. Nowadays with a lot of my friends in the CC game, during dinner we all try to pull out our cards first, chuckle and say, "i got it, just give me the cash".

949 likes this.
  18. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't tried these yet. If it has a PIN, i think you can load it at walmart for free and up to $1K a day. Anyone tried that? If not, yes the only way is online for the $2 fee for only $100 at a time.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Assuming this is the Chase offer, and the question is still about using an Amex card, it won't work since you (AFAIK) can only use Chase cards to buy those fee-free prepaids from Chase. Kinda makes sense; they aren't going to pay for shipping and 4-5% to Amex to get you a prepaid card.

boondr and SuperKirby like this.
  20. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I forgot to mention I would be using my CSP to buy these cards online. And as SuperKirby asked, can you load these at Walmart for free? Or if not, can you load them to BB online as a "debit card" for the $2 fee. (just read BB fees page - its not worth $2 for ever $100)

Has anyone tried using the Chase GC to load BB? What were your experiences? thanks!

SuperKirby likes this.
  21. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes you can load the Chase Gift Cards to BB at Walmart for free. Just call the number on the card and set up a PIN. Then go to Walmart and find the MoneyCenter ATM. Select Walmart Money Card, Reload, Continue, Swipe your Bluebird, enter the full amount of the gift card, Debit, OK, OK, OK... and wait for a receipt to print out. Check it. Repeat until the machine locks up and you have to try a different Walmart, or just continue at a teller.

SuperKirby likes this.
  22. thepointstraveler

thepointstraveler Silver Member

Status Points:

I've loaded thousands to BB at Walmart from Chase GCs in the last month. They work great. You can only do 3 loads in a row or you will lock up the machine. I usually load 3 cards, walk around the store for 5-10 minutes and then come back and load 3 more onto BB and GoBank

jojim and SuperKirby like this.
  23. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I bought my first round to test it out.

SuperKirby likes this.
  24. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am so lucky to have a CVS at the end of my street that doesn't question me at all for VRs. I have been wanting to test out gift cards for BB but it would be one extra trip to Walmart.

SuperKirby likes this.
  25. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to if you're comfortable with CVS next to u. I still do both even with CVS next to me. I like to "pad my purchases" at grocery stores with GCs to make it look "normal" even though doing that has been debunked since FTers and other forums say they can see your itemized receipts...