Manhattan to LGA

Discussion in 'EWR/LGA/JFK/ISP/HPN/SWF | NYC Area Airports' started by Bay Pisco Shark, May 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never flown out of LGA before. For an 11 AM flight on a Monday, what time should I leave my Tribeca hotel? (via taxi or car service). Figure 30 minutes of cushion to hit the lounge for coffee, etc. I'll be in F on US.
    Thanks

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Given your desire to have an actual half hour in the lounge I'd leave hotel ~ 920am, arrive airport ~945am, in lounge 1000, 30 minutes there then board 30 mins out?

Then that 30 minutes provides you all the cushion you should need in case of extra traffic or extra long security lines though usually they're not bad for the US terminal and especially for a late morning departure, etc.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Traffic not bad at that hour if everything is perfect. I wreck, visiting politician, etc can tie things up. Also the security lines can be backed up. I'd leave a 9:00.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about the reassurance of a traffic-free commute if the goal is to arrive at LGA by 9:45. I'd leave an hour to get to LGA from Chelsea. If you wanted to arrive by 7am, then 30 minutes is easy.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ordered an 8:45 car. I went down to check out at 8:30, and the car was there when I looked outside at 8:35. Traffic was horrible. It took about 45 - 50 minutes to get here. No security line to speak of, so from leaving hotel to US Lounge was just under an hour. Relaxed with coffee instead of sweating it (which might have happened had I left at 9).

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah gettng out of the city is only part of the problem... the construction around the grand central will kill you, even though there shouldn't be anybody out there -- but somehow there's always traffic.

JetsettingEric and jbcarioca like this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is very early to leave for an 11 am flight with only hand luggage. If you're just sitting in a hotel room otherwise, I guess there's no reason to chance it. 9:30 or 9:45am would usually suffice for a departure like this. If there is "a wreck," and the tunnel is closed or something, the extra 20-30 minutes probably won't make a difference anyway.

Glad you made it with time to spare.

Too bad US hasn't spent a dollar of capex on that LGA lounge in a decade!

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, and chances are that depending on what hotel you're staying in the hotel lobby is nicer than the lounge, but still... there's a certain sense of relief -- for me at least -- when you're at the airport past security as opposed to on the way there or waiting to get on the move.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Of course I tend to believe that if you've never been late for a flight, you spend too much time in airports. :)

10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truer words have not been spoken. I used to miss flights, but when i missed a flight to HKG and was to meet my spouse in HKG, she arriving form a different country, I revised my procedures. I now arrive a airports 1 1/2-2 hours early when possible, and work in the lounges. Life is calmer that way.

In the case of LGA I only allow 40 minutes to get there from midtown because there's always another flight waiting wherever i go form there and I just don't worry about it. For otehr places whre there are shuttles/near-shuttles (e.g. SDU-CGH; CDG-NCE) I don't allow much time either. Barring shuttles I always allow the extra time.

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed... I'd rather waste 2 hours at the airport waiting for my flight than miss my flight and waste several hours waiting for the next one, or have that throw off my whole day/trip.

If I'm traveling for leisure I aways arrive at the airport a couple of hours early, even if it's a domestic flight. Gives me time to survey the later flights and see if I wanna try for a VDB, try one of the restaurants -- if there are any decent ones around -- and generally just take my time with the whole travel thing, rather than rush-rush-rush and be stressed out about how slow traffic / security / whatever is moving today.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    In 20+ years of business travel, I've only missed one. It was a DL flight, JFK-lax, on a friday evening in 1998. Car booked for 2.5 hours prior to departure from midtown. Massive downpour caused significant car delay, then accident on the Van Wyck ended any chance of making it....even though the flight was an hour delayed itself.

I'm often the last to board BA flights to lhr from JFK...there's always another one leaving an hour or so later, but I've never needed to move to the next one.

My favorite was turning up (intentionally) 2 hours late for an ei flight, dub-lhr. I either a) foolishly stayed out too late drinking, b) foolishly booked too early of a flight or c) both...but just decided I'd turn up late and get on whatever they had at that time. When I arrived at dub, I went to ticketing (versus checkin) because I assumed I'd need my ticket re-issued. As luck would have it, my flight was 2.5 hours delayed due to weather at LHR and they held my seat (J). Found my way through security and to the gate...just as the boarding door was closing. Of course, there was no room in the overhead lockers for my oversized hand luggage. Being an American, I anticipated I'd be a dreaded gate check for the bag. The FA cheerily said, "No worries, my dear, we'll simply store it in the loo!" While I anticipated my bag would have a certain blue-ish tint when I retrieved it - but no problems at all. Couple that service with a decent hot breakfast on a 1 hour flight and you know why I still hold a warm spot in my heart for old EI. Too bad they're no longer ow!

13. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are going to LGA you have the option of taking the local streets in Queens and avoiding any traffic jams on the GCP.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, which is why I always drive myself or have someone drive me when possible, but a cab will almost never do that.

15. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you know how to go just give the cab driver directions. By NYC law they have to obey your instructions and take any route that you designate.

16. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    For anyone that wants to learn the backroads to LGA, give supershuttle a try. They don't want to pay tolls so they take the Queesboro bridge across and then backroads to LGA. Once you have that down, give the hertz drive yourself to lga a shot. One of the tricks is to make sure you're on the correct lane of the queensboro. Note that not all lanes are open at all hours.

Ny banker - us is building a new lounge soon. I can't wait.

17. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just about to say that ^

18. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just take the lower roadway of the Queensboro Bridge and stay in your right lane. Follow the signs to Queens Blvd. Take Queens Blvd. and make a right turn to Woodhaven Blvd. which turns into Cross Bay Blvd. Once on Cross Bay Blvd. you will see a sign that says JFK Airport.

19. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait, I thought we were trying to make our way to LGA!! ;)

20. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG, you are correct!!! :oops:

However you still have to take the lower roadway of the Queensboro Bridge and instruct the driver to take Northern Blvd and make a left turn on 94th street. That will take you directly into LGA.

21. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm generally a fan of the upper level, going down vernon blvd to the grand central parkway and using astoria blvd as an alternative if it's jammed up. Fewer lights and faster average speeds.

Everytime i'm stuck in traffic going to LGA - i remind myself of every trip by car to EWR and spending an hour in line getting into the Lincoln Tunnel.

22. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whether it be LGA or JFK once you get into Queens from Manhattan you have many more route options as opposed to driving to EWR. :D