Manchester Grand Hyatt to be Sold

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Intrepid, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member

Status Points:
  2. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Interesting - we'll see if it actually goes through - there have been a couple of reports the last few years of sales - that apparently never closed.

3. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    This can't be good for upgrades with the hotel being owned by Marriott. This could be another Hyatt Maui style of operation.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    good riddance, I'm not a fan at all of this property

5. Hyatt Maui situation would be better than San Diego now - they never even participate in FFN! Good riddance to the old owners.

TravelGuy1965 likes this.
  6. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They didn't used to participate in FFN redemptions but have for the last couple of years - no property is exempt anymore - used to be this one and the HR Paris Madeleine.

This is at least the 3rd announcement of a deal - 1st one was an equity swap with Hyatt corporate for interests in the HR Chicago, HR Atlanta - I'm really relieved that one fell through since that would mean that Hyatt Corp being even more "in bed" with this character.

The second one was selling to the former owners of the W San Diego (which was foreclosed upon).

Not sure what happened in those cases - perhaps Hyatt backed out of the first one - and the "government entity" that has to approve the deal declined on the second. Perhaps this one will go through.

7. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    After GM Alan Randall passed on IMO the property never had the class it had when he managed it and in the years past
    The lack of renovations over the years and the investment in a dated clone lack luster tower without a club lounge was a mistake.Though some good folks worked at this property and continues too it never had the polish and the consistency of years past.I still favor Hyatt Mission Bay in recent years.
    Added to that new hotels opened with more bells and whistles .
    Hopefully the new ownership witll step in and make it a better experience all the way around
    Manchester and his team made some serious mistakes managing his business on a number of levels

8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Non-Californians might not be aware, too, (and it seems we're dancing around saying it) that Doug Manchester alienated a lot of folks by donating a lot of money to a cause many feel was discriminatory and exclusionary. In so doing, he alienated a lot of groups and cost the property a lot of money and good will.

9. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well that is a major part of why this a property for me to avoid. But also, our last stay there (in 2007) was a series of problems that are pretty much inexcusable for an established upscale property.

10. TravelGuy1965
    Original Member

TravelGuy1965 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't stayed there in quite a while but back in 2003 it was a place I frequented quite a bit on Priceline stays back in the day when a 411 phone call you make it qualifying. I loved the location near Gaslamp District.

11. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will this hotel still likely be branded as a Hyatt?

12. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would think so even though Host is closely linked to Marriott, there is a FS Marriott next door.

13. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member

Status Points:
    Update:
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/mar/08/port-approves-sale-manchester-hyatt-marriott-upgra/

One step closer to the deal going through. According to the article, "the present name, Manchester Grand Hyatt, is not expected to change."

Interesting to see that Host will be renovating the neighboring Marriott for an expected $182M. I hope they have some funds left to renovate the Hyatt as well in the near future should the sale go through. The rooms are in serious need of updating.

14. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not correct. The investment company that is buying the property also owns the Marriott property. Many investments companies own different brands of hotels.

I'm not a big fan of this property either, it's old and the rooms are showing their age. Also, they prefer dumping hundreds of rooms on Priceline for 60 bucks while selling their prepaid rates on hyatt.com for 199 bucks :rolleyes. The difference in price is just incredible.

Mr. Manchester is quite the character with a reputation in San Diego. I think this property can only improve after he's gone, so I welcome the new owners.

BTW, pretty full of himself, he can't have visited many Hyatts :p

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.